Revisiting my youth.. this might not end well!

Started by Bruce4, March 22, 2022, 11:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce4

Hello to all,

My name is Rohan and I am a new member based in bayside Melbourne.
Having owned and loved Alfa in the past ( in my late 20's ), I have recently been bold enough to purchase a project 1974 Alfa 105 2000.
I will no doubt have many questions over the projects lifetime and look forward to the pool of amazing knowledge and experience that I have seen in this forum.

A little bit about the car:
My plan is to strip it back and have it dipped to remove all paint and reveal all the nasties!
Whilst this is being done a complete engine rebuild, suspension etc. as you all know, the list goes on.

I have a lot of spare time on my hands so was thinking of doing as much of the basic stripping as possible, internals, chrome/lights etc. and then sending of to the mechanic to complete the process, then have it dipped and body repairs whilst the engine rebuild/suspension works is done.

Can anyone recommend a company to dip the shell once ready and also for the undoubted body repair works that will be required?
I know that the under side of the door sills will need complete rebuild, spare wheel bay etc.

Looking forward to sharing this with you all.

Current:
1974 105 GTV 2000
Ducati 900SL, ST4s, 1100s Multi, 1200s Multi

Previously:
1973 105 GT 1600 Junior

MD

Hi Bruce 4,
Welcome to your nightmare  ;D

I am not from Melbourne so I cannot help with local knowledge. What I can say is if and when you settle on a panel shop, they may have a good idea of who to approach for a strip-back as I am certain this would be a common enough type of job for them. They should also be able to advise what type of strip-back technique will be best for both the metal type in the car and subsequent paint and panel repairs
Hope you are not allergic to paracetamol cause you are about to be in a lot of pain . Good to save another one if you can do it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Craig_m67

There's a gent on Insta who has dipped his Giulia, maybe ask him.
I'd have gone this route if I wasn't at the other end of Aust.

@tonys_giulia
I think he used these guys ... http://www.minuspaint.com.au/

People will gather pitchforks and torches to warn you about all sorts of problems with his including the Al spacers/stiffeners in the front chassis rail (where the steering box and idler are) dissolving if you go this route.. unlikely in my opinion, but ask him, he's just done it.

its more likely you will open it up here (amongst all the other places) for rust and then use the Alfaholics strengthing plates to sort out chassis cracks

Good luck 👍
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Paul Gulliver

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000