25% deposit upfront for repairs fair?

Started by Gforce007, January 28, 2022, 03:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gforce007

Hi all,

Hope you're good. It was suggested i re post this here in general.

Question: Is 25% upfront deposit on a $10k mechanical  repair a  fair amount for me to offer mechanic to get the job rolling? Or - Should i not pay until job is completed? Fair question? Anyone relate? TIA.

poohbah

I've never been asked or expected to pay a deposit on mechanical work - always just pay the bill in full when at the end. Though I've never had a single bill of more than  $4-5k.

Has your mechanic asked for a deposit?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Gforce007

Thanks Poohbah,

Yep. He asked for $5000. No written quote or estimate, only a verbal 'cost could get to 10k, we'll have to see'. I offered 2.5k upfront to get job rolling, balance on completion of job, but mechanic not accepting terms. Engine has been pulled apart. Reckon i'll just get him to reassemble it, bill me for work done (not done) so i can get her out of there and try again elsewhere. 

poohbah

I'd ask other Victorian members for a recommended Alfa repairer. Did you go to the place in question for a particular reason?

As for asking for $5k with nothing in writing, not even a formal quote on the work expected to be done - I understand why you are wary. Sounds totally dodgy.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Gforce007

Quote from: poohbah on January 28, 2022, 05:35:06 PM
I'd ask other Victorian members for a recommended Alfa repairer. Did you go to the place in question for a particular reason?

As for asking for $5k with nothing in writing, not even a formal quote on the work expected to be done - I understand why you are wary. Sounds totally dodgy.

Yep, it's a little strange. Stranger still in that i believe the inner east melbourne workshop has an association with the Vic members chapter. Anyway, he's lost me. A win/win opportunity turned to win/lose. This is not good. Will pay for work done, get my car out of there, and let the universe deal with it. Thanks for listening and the feedback.