Two dead Alfa's in two weeks

Started by First Alfa, January 19, 2022, 11:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

First Alfa

Christmas just gone was not my favourite time. Mid December I was driving the 156 when I noticed the temp shoot up. I pulled over and sure enough a cooling hose had developed a split. i think it was the pump output hose as it pumped all the coolant out in very short order. I did have 4 litres of water in the car that day and was able to put that in and make my way to my friends place close by, who was also a mechanic. We were able to fix the split but it was too late as the head gasket had gone and it was using coolant at an alarming rate. A 2001 Alfa 156 with 287000 kms was now off to the big car yard in the sky with no hard feelings.

Time to change my signature block.

The very next week, as the 156 was no more, I was driving the GT when there was a sudden and heavy storm.
I turned into a carpark and noticed the the drainage was blocked and couldn't cope and the carpark was now a large shallow pool.
Too late, the car stopped, hydrolocked. :(:((
Insurance write off as the engine had at least, bent the conrods, and a new or reconditioned engine was impossible to source for less than the actual cost of the car.
The car was picked up by Pickles on Monday and imagine it will be up for auction as a repairable writeoff very soon.
It has the following modifications:
a. Scorpion Cat Back SS exhaust
b. Stainless Steel equal length exhaust headers from Extreme Tuning
c. Quaife LSD in a perfectly good 6 speed gearbox/transaxle
d. Lowered springs and dampers from AP sports, Germany; and,
e. An Autolusso silicone inlet elbow
All of these were added within the last 3 years
Additionally, I had the roof, bonnet and front guards resprayed in Sep 2020 and the radiator and lower hose have less than 50000 kms.
Coming soon to Pickles (assuming Brisbane). I would love to hear that it, or at least bits of it, have gone to a good home as the insurance went to some pains to inform me that it was a repairable writeoff.

PJPAlfa

Sorry to hear.

Below is link to a Black GT at Pickles in Brisbane: https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-salvage/item/-/details/CP-06-04--Alfa-Romeo--GT--Coupe/970329349

Busso engine and nice colour combo.

First Alfa