156 GTA questions

Started by poohbah, November 14, 2021, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

OK folks, am I crazy or clever? I went to the annual Italian car day here in Perth this morning, just for a look, I swear...

First thing I see is a 2002 GTA 6sp for sale for A$10k. That's about half as much as I would expect to see one selling for here, when you can even find one. So talked to the owner for a bit, had a good look over her, and really couldn't fault it. It has even been serviced and checked over by the same mechanic I take my Alfas to.

So after a couple of hours of rumination, decided to make a conditional offer to buy it - subject to talking to the mechanic about it. Full service history, Q2 diff, 330mm brakes, upgraded exhaust, coilovers, and adjustable sway bars. Timing belt/water pump changed 5,000km and 18 months ago. Clutch feels ok, so hopefully plenty of life in it still.

Negatives - its still on QLD plates (though owner has had it ten years, but kept it on Qld rego), so I'll need to re-register it in WA (ie put it over the pits), it's done over 200,000km (but that's only 10,000k more than my current 156 V6), and the owner admitted he's taken it on a couple of track days - so its no trailer queen and has been driven like it should be. Couple of minor scuff marks on front bumper, and drivers seat, and the centre information pod on the dash is apparently a bit iffy and the LED display only works when its cold. 

Also means I'll have to sell my classy and reliable white 156 V6 (don't have room for 3 Alfas at home, and the 116 GTV is my weekend tinker), which is a shame.

So am I crazy or what? Am I walking into a world of pain?

I figured if I didn't jump on it, I would probably forever regret it - like when I didn't move quick enough on a manual 3.0L 75 for $9k five years ago and missed it by a couple of hours. And it should notionally be worth more - especially over time, as there can't have been many GTAs imported to Australia.

Comes with the factory exhaust and suspension if they need to go back on to pass inspection here (not sure why they'd need to - will investigate further though any non factory items could potentially be a problem I suppose). Also any tips on why the info pod might be on the fritz, and suggestions on how to fix (Bazz - any expert opinions?).
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

Info pod issue is usually caused by loose connector to the unit, down the left side next to the glovebox.

I think you will find it's the other way round, won't work when it's cold (winter) weather but works in warm (summer) conditions.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Cheers Bazz, will have to check it. Just going on what the owner said.

Am slightly nervous at the moment, pending seeing the mechanic about the car tomorrow. I've also never bought a car that is registered interstate before so not 100% sure of the process - probably have to keep it parked up til I can transfer to WA rego. So bit to work through over next couple of days.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Quotenot too many of these come up for sale so waiting on the "perfect" example at the "perfect" price doesn't seem like a great strategy.

Yep, exactly what I figured, given my lesson with the missed 75.
            1981 GTV

warsch

That's quite good price for 156GTA. The cheapest I saw a few months ago was $25000.

Changing rego is simple, really. It's got all the goodies like Q2 and 330 brakes.

I recently bought a 147 GTA for $4000 from Syndey (with towing to QLD). The car had quite a list of things required, including, as it appears to be, adjusting the timing on the rear bank, as it seems off by 1-2 teeth. That being said, I'm happy with the purchase as it was the only affordable way for me to get into 3.2.

poohbah

cheers folks.

I have since discovered a few more details that may help explain why its so cheap, and rather than air them publicly now, will discuss them with the seller and will then let you know what happens, and whether I proceed.

1981 GTV

poohbah

Update - we've agreed terms, and hopefully it won't prove too hard to get registered in WA. Seller is a really nice bloke.

Basically worked out that it will need a few dollars spent upfront to get it up to muster, so we've negotiated a new price that we are both comfortable with. But the car drives superbly, and despite a "vigourous" history over its 19 yrs of life, it is really straight and feels tight as a button (apart from the droopy headliner...). The pickup (and sound) compared to my original manual V6 and current auto V6 is astonishing.

Will provide further updates once I've handed over some coins and actually take possession.

From what I can gather it is one of only 3 in Perth, of less than 150 GTAs in total imported to Oz from new. Worldwide I think less than 2000 sedans were built, the vast majority of which were LHD. So I really think I would have regretted passing up the opportunity. 
            1981 GTV

bteoh

Congrats on the car. I didn't make it to the Italian Car Day last weekend - I am sure it was a good one.
Glad to see another 156 GTA in Perth. Mine is black and I do enjoy driving it. Normal issues are one of the ECUs can get fried, as it is in the engine bay. Infotainment unit screen normally goes. You can buy replacement screens and handy if you can solder. Body parts and headlamps are very difficult to obtain now.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers  :)

poohbah

Cheers mate, appreciate the advice. Must be 4 GTAs in perth then.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Got her home tonight, what a machine. I know its dark but had to post a pic nonetheless. Now the real work starts - getting her registered locally.
            1981 GTV

Beatle

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

poohbah

Morning has broken... Car booked for inspection Monday. Will see how we go, but at least things are in motion.

Have to say thanks to the seller - fantastic bloke. Piled the boot up with spares - including the factory exhaust, original springs and sway bars, spare front rotors, and various other bits and bobs.

Will spend the weekend giving it a good clean, and tidy up what I can. But even dirty she's a beast.

Looks like Darth Vadar. Sounds like a Ferrari. Goes like stink.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Hmmm, recon we're gonna need to get the headlights polished up and get a little bling in the engine bay too.  8)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

Luckily, both things I can do - hopefully without igniting anything...

I noted too that being an '02 car, the fuel hose connector to the fuel rail is one of the plastic ones (as on my ill fated '01 car) and not the much more robust looking metal connector that is on my '99. Still don't get why Alfa would do that - the metal ones look so much more hardy (and nicer).
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on November 18, 2021, 06:41:09 PM
Luckily, both things I can do - hopefully without igniting anything...

Oh for the love of . . . . .

If I remember correctly you can't even drive in straight line without bursting into flames!   ::)

I have 000 dialed in, ready to send.     ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast