Some Alfa ignition questions

Started by MrGab250, October 18, 2021, 05:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGab250

Hi, I'm aware that Alfa Twin Cam motors had points and condenser ignition systems in 105 series cars, but I'm unsure about later cars, such as the Alfettas. I'm wondering if these had electronic ignition, otherwise, what are the other options for electronic ignition on these engines? I've heard a little bit about 123 ignition, what are they like? Are the twin point distributors that came in some of the GTA's worth while? or are they only for twin spark cylinder heads?

Cheers, Gab

Sfern00

There are a few aftermarket options- i run 123 on my 105 and it works well, and easily customisable with the bluetooth version. Engine tuners love the ability to customize spark advance on the fly, and you will too eventually. Also has RPM cutoff feature which is great, as well as a helpful gauge cluster screen. There are also upgrade kits for the original points ignition to convert it to electromagnetic ignition, made by PerTronix. These are well regarded in the wider restomod community , but honestly you're better off forking over the extra dough for the 123, in my opinion. GTA distributors are designed for the GTA heads with 8 spark plugs. Unless you have a GTA Head, i dont see the utility in these.
'72 2000 GTV
'82 GTV6
'58 MG A
'74 Citroen D Special
'97 MB SL 500