Electrical Gremlins - 147 Sele

Started by Citroënbender, October 10, 2021, 02:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

That's a shame. I noted there were only two non-CAN wires between the ECU and Selespeed computer, was hoping it just to be an absence of physical connection on the manual configuration. The computer set I put in yesterday is destined for a manual-Sele conversion (yes, really ::)) - so I'll have a manual kit.

Have been looking harder at the faults and feel it's an input signal conditioning problem. Doesn't mean I think it's a simple fix, the drivers have proven OK, but the short-to-ground input triggers are not being presented to the circuit as expected. Would be lovely to know where to break out the circuit and what to look for.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 18, 2021, 09:40:10 AM
That's a shame. I noted there were only two non-CAN wires between the ECU and Selespeed computer, was hoping it just to be an absence of physical connection on the manual configuration. The computer set I put in yesterday is destined for a manual-Sele conversion (yes, really ::)) - so I'll have a manual kit.

Have been looking harder at the faults and feel it's an input signal conditioning problem. Doesn't mean I think it's a simple fix, the drivers have proven OK, but the short-to-ground input triggers are not being presented to the circuit as expected. Would be lovely to know where to break out the circuit and what to look for.

I gather you are referring to the faulty water damaged unit, and you are trying to repair it?

If so I would't ever try, as I think you will find the circuit board is a Multi-Layered type and the water damage will go in between the layers, damaging/shorting connections/tracks within the board itself.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Now it's road tested, the other part of my question still remains - who to see, for the "confidential access code"? I obtained the last one through Andrew Palumbo, obviously that isn't an option now.

Craig_m67

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 19, 2021, 03:14:31 PM
Now it's road tested, the other part of my question still remains - who to see, for the "confidential access code"? I obtained the last one through Andrew Palumbo, obviously that isn't an option now.

Are there no dealers in Aust. now?

Email a dealer in the UK, they're very helpful.  There was an Alfa dealer in Parsons Green, London who were great, let Mr Finn literally dribble all over the 8C when it was first released and even sent me spares for Sooty to Aust. after we moved back.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

You should be able to get the "Electronic Code" from any Alfa Dealership in Australia.

You'll need proof of ownership & ID, and you must give the Vin Number of the car that the Body/Eng Ecu came from, not the one they're going into. And they will usually charge a fee . . . of course.

Overseas dealerships should not give it to you, as they have no way of recognizing your ownership details.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Another niggle, eLearn is unhelpful.

Sunroof, first time I went to use it this season - nothing.  >:(

I ran the actuator test on MES and it implied all was working. No fault codes logged. No sound at all from motor. No burnt smell or overheated look to unit or wires.

Any suggestions on this one? It looks like I can just fish the motor unit connector out with some perseverance, but the drive unit, hmm...

I should add, it's possible I've reinstalled the fuse in the wrong slot when removing them all to check in earlier stages of problems. Didn't take a photo first.

Edit: Power and earth confirmed OK. That's leading me to think the motor or controller is cactus.

Citroënbender

Still no sunroof joy.

Tried another drive unit, no different. Tried the factory reset procedure, nothing. The white harness connector that's just visible when you remove the sunroof control knob, looks perfect.

It would be odd, surely, to have a failed unit and then manage to buy another failed unit. Not impossible, but quite unlikely. There's seemingly no feedback in diagnostics for the controller - no status/position. Just authorisation to operate off the dial control or via global commands.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Citroënbender

To round this out.

Summary: You need a flash off a body computer delivered with sunroof.

I cannot understand why this is the case from an inventory point of view; to check electronically upon startup for presence of a sunroof mechanism would be no different to the automatic tests for bulb continuity, throttle setting or heater flap position.

So, with a sunroof body module fitted, the sunroof works again as designed - although a bit inclined to stick and retract halfway through closing when slid wide open. I think that's probably a grease/dirt issue.

A workaround is possible with a small switch to manually power the motor, but this would be a second choice.