Group S Alfetta GTV Battery Relocation

Started by Rob Berson, January 04, 2009, 07:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Berson

Can anybody advise - are we allowed to relocate the battery from the engine compatrment, and if so can it be mounted behind the passenger seat or must it be mounted in the rear trunk?

Thanks

Rob

Gary Pearce

Group S regs state that the battery can't be moved from where it was originally mounted. If your 116 was delvered with air conditioning and the battery in the boot you might have a case.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

John A Pucak

Hi Rob , my alfetta has the battery under the bonnet and it works fine. If you are worried you can make up a heat shield out of aluminium sheet.
regards John

Paul Newby

My battery originally sat in the engine bay, but it caused too much grief (acid spills and the like.) It now sits behind the passenger seat secured in a marine box. Didn't realise that this was not strictly correct, but I think the elgibility officers are interested in other performance issues and the location of the battery is not a big deal. Just my opinion though...
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Rob Berson

Thanks for the info. I want to move it behind the passenger seat as Paul has done, in order to put an oil catch can where the battery is currently.  Will have to decide if its worth the effort, if I know there is a possibility that I might have to undo the mod.

Rob

Scott Farquharson

Rules state that battery must be located as per the cars Grp S specification sheet which should describe where the battery was originally mounted in the car. (I'll come back to this)

Behind the seat is not legal although Paul has probably gotten away with it over the years as many of these rules have not been strictly policed and atm they have bigger fish to fry, however the eligibility officers are becoming more active and I'd say infringements like this will be picked up sooner or later.

Now, the location in a 116 varied from boot (behind the fuel filler hose) to under bonnet.  Which mount you had we can only dtermine to be pot luck.  Originally we thought that A/C cars had it in the boot but we have found some A/C cars with it under the bonnet and vis versa.  My Red car had it in the boot. (See pics on this page - see orginal mount under the battery - http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,68/topic,219.0/ )

So, the original factory mounting was either the boot or under the bonnet.  I have communicated this to CAMS and asked that the 2L specification sheet be updated to allow both - no reply, but I got them to agree to it on my car and they did object stating that many people would love to get the battery out from under the bonnet.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)