116-58 Alfetta rework

Started by redalfaracing, January 02, 2009, 05:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redalfaracing

Earlier I talked about sikaflexing the windscreen in. I pulled the screen out of my GTV6 today and found it usuitable to sikaflex back in. The glass is too small in the hole to hold properly. So sedans ok, Coupe not so good. 
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Craig Sinclair

Greg, I think that there are two different sizes of screen for the GTV. The earlier chrome bumper model which had a smaller rubber with the chrome insert strip had a larger screen. I have an early GT in the shed which has the screen "glued" in and no rubber. Someone else may be able to confirm this?

Cheers, Craig.
Current: 2012 Toyota 86
1976 Alfetta GT
Previous Alfa ownership:
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1977 Alfetta GTV
33 Quadrifoglio

alfagtv58

Not 100% sure on the winscreen, but that is certainly the case for the rear hatch screen (different size 1 type has rubber seal the other is a 'glue' in).  So chances are they used a similar front and rear??
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

k76

You are making me nervous now as I need a new windscreen for my 77 coupe. From what I have found the early glued windscreen isn't available anymore, only the later one for the gasket is. However, the gasket isn't available either so I was hoping I could glue in a later model windscreen. If that is too small to be glued in I need to rethink...
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

redalfaracing

and from what i am told, you can only get a screen with a 20% green tint thru it. I need to get a clear screen eventually for the rally car. can't see the point of putting zenon driving lights on and then tinting the screen. An old bloke like me needs all the light he can get! The screen in the GTV6 is an original Alfa screen and it is clear. Does anyone know if they are available from Alfa still?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

k76

I spoke to O'Brien today, and they say they have the glass for a 77 alfetta gtv. It's got some kind of UV tint in it though, which apparently all new windscreens must have by law. I didnt't get a good explanation on it, ie if it is visible or not. I'll drop by one day to have a look.
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Mat Francis

After recent events, your torsion bar setup is of most interest to me Greg. The big question i have, is have you placed the holder things for the torsion bars into the existing cross member under the Alfetta? Are they located in the same spot on the 75 and alfetta, or is there maybe work involved relocating structural bits?

After starting the repairs on the alfetta today i've decided it won't be rallied again unfortunately. In fact i think i will convert it back to my road car. On the positive side, i have resurrected shell, and a 75, neither of which i really give a stuff about. I'm thinking very shortly it's going to be project o'clock.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

Great... GAME ON!!!

if you go the Alfetta you are stuck with a 4 banger, if you go the 75 you can fit a 3 litre ( 24 valve if you want to).
pretty much same setup. just the torsion bars are a different length.

In my rework i have removed the Alfetta crossmember and welded in an Alfa 90 crossmember. the rear torsion bar mounts are integral, just like the 75 you have.
I'm not sure if it will be better yet, just my Alfetta crossmember was cactus, and the 90 one was convenient. Plus i think i can solve the low exhaust problem ( you know only too well) by running it thru just below the tailshaft. And no, the carbon fibre shaft wont fit as it is about 100mm too short.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Mat Francis

Excellent. Cheers. If i can i will use the 75 bars and crossmember, as it won't cost me anything, and it's less of the 75 to go to the scrapper. A while off yet but i'll update as/if it all happens

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

The rework has commenced again. My son Jamey who used to autocross this car wants to go rallying. So we are busy finishing the paint job and then bolt her back together. I have learnt a little bit since building the last one, going to paint inside boot, under bonnet and interior of car polar white. Much easier to find things and work on in the dark. Painted red, it may as well be black. When something looks different i'll put up an image.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Beatle

Yep, the Alfetta GT glue-in windscreen is definitely a different size to the steel bumper GTV.   I don't believe the glass size changed with the change to plastic bumpers, but the rubber gasket was redesigned.  It's been too many years for me to confirm which one is actually larger.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd