116-58 Alfetta rework

Started by redalfaracing, January 02, 2009, 05:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv152

Hi Greg,
I have a full cage in my car but the windscreen is in rubber and I notice a little crack going down from the A pillar!.Does your cage terminate in the engine bay near the shock mount or do you have any bracing under the bonnet,my cage is in the car only and I have been thinking about triangulating the front end shock towers under the bonnet or going from the cage to the shock mount area.I have been very pleased with the handling of my car,it will out handle just about everything at Mallala including clubbies!.I have not tried it without the rear sway bar although a friend of mine runs his sedan in Queensland without the rear bar and says its great. 
Cheers
Andrew.
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Mat Francis

Thanks Greg, i'll give you a ring when i know when i know work hours over the weekend. here's the 1800 bumper. pretty straight except for the small dent in the second picture. and obviously the over riders are shot. apologies for the crap quality, the phone was handier than the camera.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

Andrew, I also  have  the cage inside the car. i am not sure about the legalities of taking it thru the fire wall if you don't have struts. i may be wrong but i think if the cage penetrates the fire wall it can only terminate on the towers. Anyone have a different interpretation? I have had to weld the front of the body back on twice now. it cracks at the top where the bonnet hinges. i noticed in the Alpine Rally vid as my car went past you could hear a squeak, squeak. pretty sure that was the front flexing up and down. i have triangulated it under the guards to try and stiffen it this time, hope it works! If you want to try a lap without a rear sway, just pull the link of one side and try it. 10 minutes work. BTW, car looks great with attitude.

Mat. over riders are the first thing to get rid of! Sunday arvo works for me. I'll be in the shed.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

redalfaracing

Well, i failed to get car even near ready for the BBQ. Still on it's side, but now the under floor is finished , coated with K&N rust converter and primer and ready to paint. Gee that is great stuff. Have you used it? Made from tree tannin, leaves the metal with a resilient surface that will stay rust free for up to 6 months without re coating. So the floor is now a deep purple colour with 2 new sills and cross members, new spare wheel well, the old one was bashed to bits. Fitted one out of a Datsun 240K , cause i got it for free and it fits 205/65/15 tyres in it, so it is usable not like the old one. Like to have had it finished but i don't want a deadline to get in the way of a good job. Painting Thursday morning.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

alfagtv152

HI Greg,
I swear by Wattle Rust conveter,I have also used some of the water based ones but they havent been lasting wheras the wattle thinner base one is great.I have been restoring our club trailer for the last week and it needed plenty of Rust conveter!.
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

redalfaracing

I'll try again. i posted a message here and broke this page. Thanks Evan for fixing it.

Andrew, huge job isn't it! treating rusted bits. You think you'll clean it up in a weekend... but never so. Finally i got the underbelly primed and top coated today, despite all the interuptions ( it's ok Mike and Mat, i enjoyed the chat) leave it on its side for a couple of days to harden and once i tip it the right way up i can start bolting things back on underneath whilst i clean up and paint the inside and engine bay. I must say i am getting anxious to take it for a spin, the sound of an Alfetta in the drive way today got my adrenellin going. Maybe i can get my new gtv6 going when i get it home on tuesday and i can go for a rip in it, but i'll talk about that car later in another thread..
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

here is the photo i tried to upload when the page crashed. heres hoping!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

dehne

nice paint job how did you get it to look so pixalated (lol) ;D
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

redalfaracing

sorry about the quality, dont know what happened there. here is a better one
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

dehne

you mont be able to rally that anymore as you will scratch the paint
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

pep105

Greg if the outside of my 105 looked as good as the underside of your alfetta id be wrapt......
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

redalfaracing

pep, if the outside of my Alfetta looked as good as the underside, i'd be wrapt too!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

david sammartino

nice job there, however cant go past the top quality of the camera you used. i was beginning to thin k you painted the underside in orange-peel red.

redalfaracing

Yeah, camera is much better than the operator. Got some mates coming round in the morning to roll the car shiny side down, got a day or so's work inside on the floor, the boot and engine bay then i can put it back together. I got an esky full of dry ice today and put the gearbox input shaft back together with my new 1.13:1 4th gear ratio. Can't wait to try it out.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

turned the Fetta over yesterday, i think it looked better on it's side. almost feel like putting it back! hopefully i'll have it looking just as good by the end of the week and some running gear on it. Need to get this baby going so i can start on my other project.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC