Alfasud Boxer 1.5 Timing Belt Woes

Started by stuka, August 23, 2021, 04:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuka

Hi all. I have bought a timing belt and tensioner kit for my 1.5 boxer. I cannot seem to fit the driver side belt, it is just too taught even with the tensioner pushed out of the way. Whatever Im doing wrong must be blindingly obvious, am I missing a trick here? Thanks, Pat
Alfasud Sprint, GTV 3.2 V6

stuka

Nobody with any pearls of wisdom? I have measured/counted teeth of new to old and they are the same....

Craig_m67

I've done it.. was a long time ago though.. pics might help

Is it on the correct (crankshaft) sprocket?
From memory one side is bigger than the other (snigger)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Domenic

Have you checked how many teeth are on the belts you took off the car and then compared to how many teeth are on the new ones?

I'm assuming no one has commented on this as they would think this is the first check someone would check?

stuka

Quote from: Domenic on August 27, 2021, 09:19:22 AM

Have you checked how many teeth are on the belts you took off the car and then compared to how many teeth are on the new ones?

Yes, mentioned in my second post above.

I can get the belt on without the tensioner but cant fit the tensioner afterwards. I think I need an extra pair of hands to hold the tensioner as far down as possible whilst tightening up the bolt to allow the most free play possible for the belt.

Craig_m67

Okie.

I've forgotten more than I can remember about Sud/Sprint mechanicals, but I still have some manuals.
Do you have a manual?

I do remember there being a 98tooth and 100tooth version of the cambelt dependant on engine type. However, all  the resources I have do not list how many teeth or the belt length (beauty).

In anycase, it should be simple enough to loosen the tensioner and move it out if the way (as you know), soooo - take a picture so we can see what is not happening

As an aside,

1. Can you tell us what version engine you have (age/year/engine tipo if possible)
2. Can you confirm that you're going through all this as you replaced the (bastard interference fit) water pump, if not replace it now. Because it will fail when you get the belts on.
3. Whose and which cambelt kit are you fitting?

(Perhaps this. https://www.gatescatalogue.com.au/v/alfa-romeo/33/powergrip®-kit/gates-au/tck021.html )

I especially love 15.(2) in this section. "Undo screws securing water pump to block and remove pump with gasket".. Ha!

Craig_m67

Alfa.mg

Sorry im probably too late for you. And I too am struggling to remember. Are you able to tighten the tensioner with it moved away from the belt and then when you slip the belt on then release the tensioner and retighten?
1983 alfasud TI 1.5 silver
1990 Alfa 33 cloverleaf 1.7 white
2001 Alfa 156 2.0 red
2003 Alfa 147 2.0 red
2001 Alfa 156 2.5 Monza silver (now)
1983 Alfa Sud TI 1.5 red (now)
1974 berlina 2000 white (1 too many)

Lou Sprint

I think that's what I've done and I confirm it wasn't the easiest thing, one side was quick and smooth, the other side was a bit more laborious.
Removing the water pump was a nightmare.
If someone needs a tutorial to set the timing, I suggest to watch Ed China doing the magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IESAOr5_B5k&t=165s