Author Topic: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project  (Read 15498 times)

Alfatango

Re: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2021, 05:15:22 PM »
It looked a bit better in my head  ::)
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2021, 05:20:46 PM »
Alfa romeo 156 front seat air bag and hand rest removal screws. Save someone destroying a seat in the future. Was going to use this as a sim racer seat but too heavy anyway.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »
Hand rest
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »
A bit more weight saving plus don't want plastic projectiles in the cabin.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
  • AROCA Member #: 870
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2021, 09:33:18 PM »
Just do me one favor, for your own sake don't place the Fire Extinguisher in the passenger foot well where so many people do. Otherwise you may as well just bolt a 1.5 Kg lead weight there instead, as doing so makes it completely useless.
ON THE SPOT ALFA
Mobile Alfa Romeo & Fiat Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance & Servicing
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

Alfatango

« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2021, 09:43:02 PM »
Just do me one favor, for your own sake don't place the Fire Extinguisher in the passenger foot well where so many people do. Otherwise you may as well just bolt a 1.5 Kg lead weight there instead, as doing so makes it completely useless.

I saw you congratulate the fire extinguisher in between the drivers seat and driver's door in the rally car thread. That makes more sense with a 6 point harness on I guess. But doesn't it also make it more likely to go off in an impact?
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2021, 01:35:00 AM »
Why would mounting it so make it more likely for the Extinguisher to accidentally discharge? They are designed to be near impossible to go off inadvertently.

For those of you unfamiliar with this discussion -

Basically a fire extinguisher is completely useless unless you can reach it!

So picture yourself in your track car, strapped in with your racing harness, as you take one of the more challenging corners at fill tilt, you accidentally slide off the track onto the soft grass, your outer wheels dig in and you flip onto your roof. As your hanging there tightly strapped in, quite safe and unharmed, but unable to move at all, you await the crash crew to arrive to extricate you from your indignant situation.

Suddenly there is a puff of smoke from somewhere, "OH CRAP!" Instantly the whole cabin is filled with blinding smoke and you hear the crackling of flames . . . . . you reach for the extinguisher . . . . . all the way over there, in the passenger foot well, (or any of the other idiotic places that I have seen so many drivers mount the extinguisher) go on, there it is, go for it, nope, not going to happen. BUGGER!

The extinguisher should be mounted in a position so -

A/ That with your eyes closed you can simply drop your arm and it naturally falls to hand, without you being able to see or move, AT ALL.

B/ You are able to un-clip the retaining straps with just the one hand only and easily remove from the retaining bracket. Again, while blind and unable to move, wiggle, or even turn your head any amount at all.

C/ Also, the extinguisher must be of a type where the safety pin/clip can be removed and it be operated easily while blind & wearing racing gloves.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 01:43:42 AM by bazzbazz »
ON THE SPOT ALFA
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613

Alfatango

« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2021, 07:15:53 AM »
Thanks bazz. That makes sense as I have had the fire extinguisher in the passenger front seat rail holes and found that I have to undo the seat belt on a normal chair to get to it. So it would make sense for rallies, hill climbs and sprints. But if you are racing and another car hits your door, could that not have an impact on the fire extinguisher?

I think it was this user vid on a clk gtr le mans car that showed they have a switch which turns on foam or fire extinguishers in the cabin which really shows the separation between race car and road car. And the air Jacks would be super cool to have as well 8)

https://youtu.be/Lp-I5cRFrZU
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

warsch

« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »
I agree that you have to be able to reach the extinguisher while seated and strapped in.

However, they absolutely go off on their own. That happens, I  personally know a person who had it happen.

That being said, mine is right under my legs

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »
But if you are racing and another car hits your door, could that not have an impact on the fire extinguisher

Anything is possible, but the recommended location is to your left mounted on/above/near the floor tunnel/hump. As shown here -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/193874062@N06/51509746711/in/dateposted-public/

That being said, mine is right under my legs

And as described in my scenario above,  it makes it completely useless, as being between your legs you need to lean forward to reach & release it. Your pinned to your seat upside down unable to move whatsoever, remember.

Still, it's much better than the passenger footwell.  :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 03:06:13 PM by bazzbazz »
ON THE SPOT ALFA
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613

Alfatango

« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2021, 04:58:42 PM »
But if you are racing and another car hits your door, could that not have an impact on the fire extinguisher

Anything is possible, but the recommended location is to your left mounted on/above/near the floor tunnel/hump. As shown here -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/193874062@N06/51509746711/in/dateposted-public/

That makes sense
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
As they say, timing is everything -

ON THE SPOT ALFA
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613

Colin Edwards

• AROCA Member #: 5065
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2021, 09:47:35 AM »
One of these - probably the MFM400S for a sedan. Weight not so much of an issue

We have something similar to the LWM50 in our Formula Ford.  Weight and packaging a real issue.

https://www.conceptracegear.com.au/motorsport/fire-extinguishers/

Hand held extinguishers are not much use if you want to manage a fire you can't access instantly.  Although fires are rare, a Suppression Kit is a good investment given any significant fire will total your car.  Its not the damage to the plastic, wiring, electrical or engine that's the issue.  Even a small fire will stuff the metallurgy of the chassis.

Colin
Present
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Alfatango

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2021, 10:17:21 AM »
One of these - probably the MFM400S for a sedan. Weight not so much of an issue

We have something similar to the LWM50 in our Formula Ford.  Weight and packaging a real issue.

https://www.conceptracegear.com.au/motorsport/fire-extinguishers/

Hand held extinguishers are not much use if you want to manage a fire you can't access instantly.  Although fires are rare, a Suppression Kit is a good investment given any significant fire will total your car.  Its not the damage to the plastic, wiring, electrical or engine that's the issue.  Even a small fire will stuff the metallurgy of the chassis.

Colin

Thanks Colin. I can highly recommend getting a fire extinguisher and bracket from a motorsport store. I bought one of eBay and checked the pressure Guage on the fire extinguisher and it says none. I than got another one as a refund but don't trust either of them.

Didn't know what a suppression kit is so Googled it. https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/diy/how-to-fit-a-fire-suppression-system-to-your-car

I am starting to realize a professional race car is probably more than a road car with a stripped interior ;D
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2021, 10:21:26 AM »
This epoxy metal paint is perfect compared to Primer, paint, clear coat. Also fills in the scratches left by the chisel. The vertical strips over the wheel wells probably couldn't be done with dry ice any way. Unless you throw it really hard or used some sort sand blaster lol. My attempt at a mechanic joke. A bit rusty...
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs