Author Topic: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project  (Read 9703 times)

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
  • AROCA Member #: 870
Re: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2021, 06:09:38 PM »
If necessity is the mother of invention, then surely desperation is the father of it, for I have seen men with a necessity be very clever, yet wondered at how the desperate are driven to be downright bloody brilliant! - Baz

Like - "You stuck your finger in WHAT to stop the bomb from going off!!"   :o
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:12:26 PM by bazzbazz »
ON THE SPOT ALFA
Mobile Alfa Romeo & Fiat Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance & Servicing
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

Alfatango

« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2021, 07:13:26 PM »
The standard 23mm eye bolts for the harness are pretty small. So far it only fits in the factory seat belt mount hole at the bottom of the pillar.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2021, 07:16:39 PM »
I would like to re use the factory holes for the rear head rests. The issue is the bolts need to be over 10cm and so far the longest ones for sale I have found are 5cm long. Does anyone know where I can get longer ones?

I don't want to install a bar for the harness as planning to get an agi roll cage next year.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

warsch

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2021, 01:24:43 PM »
Headrest bar wonít hold the harness. I bought a thick metal plate, put it horizontally against the rear wall and drilled through. Then used eye bolts and nuts. Itís not ideal but better than thin headrest metal plate.

Using lower standard harness mounting holes is okaish, but the harness angle would be a bit too steep

Alfatango

« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2021, 03:34:54 PM »
Headrest bar wonít hold the harness. I bought a thick metal plate, put it horizontally against the rear wall and drilled through. Then used eye bolts and nuts. Itís not ideal but better than thin headrest metal plate.

Using lower standard harness mounting holes is okaish, but the harness angle would be a bit too steep

Spasibo. That's a really good idea as you can adjust the angles of the harness to be in tolerance. I will get the mechanics to weld in the seat rails so will get them to do the harness at the same time in that case.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

warsch

« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2021, 09:51:42 PM »
I bit of a plug of my recent new PB at QR Clubman config. My friend dragged me around fast corners which helped

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92qWlSIJFI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92qWlSIJFI</a>

Alfatango

« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2021, 07:21:33 AM »
I bit of a plug of my recent new PB at QR Clubman config. My friend dragged me around fast corners which helped

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92qWlSIJFI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92qWlSIJFI</a>

Nice work. Especially with all that roof lining etc ;D.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

warsch

« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2021, 10:03:06 AM »
The funny thing is, that the car is a tad more powerful (intake mods), much better brakes, 100 kg lighter, but I only pinched 0.12sec off my last PB.

Also, the friend in the front has a similarly upgraded 156 JTS Selespeed but still with all the trim in and he beats me just by being a better driver
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:06:59 PM by warsch »

Alfatango

« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2021, 02:22:03 PM »
The funny thing is, that the car is a tad more powerful (intake mods), much better brakes, 100 kg lighter, but I only pinched 0.12sec off my last PB.

Also, the friend in the front has a similarly upgraded 156 JTS Selespeed but still with all the trim in and he beats me just by being a better driver

With a selespeed? Must be a typo ;D. Not a fan of the selespeed after owning two GTs in selespeeed.

Yeah I found most modifications are pretty pointless besides brake pads and tyres for track days. But it's hard to tell as you would need to test them back to back and conditions are always changing.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
  • AROCA Member #: 870
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2021, 02:53:01 PM »
With a selespeed? Must be a typo ;D. Not a fan of the selespeed after owning two GTs in selespeeed.

You need to take my selespeed for a "Spirited drive".  ;)
ON THE SPOT ALFA
Mobile Alfa Romeo & Fiat Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance & Servicing
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

Alfatango

« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2021, 02:58:24 PM »

You need to take my selespeed for a "Spirited drive".  ;)

I can see why you would like them when they are tuned correctly but I prefer manual all day for track duties.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

warsch

« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2021, 09:11:37 AM »
I can see why you would like them when they are tuned correctly but I prefer manual all day for track duties.

I took my JTS sele to the track too. I actually enjoyed it and would prefer it to a manual. Now my car had some issues, one being that previous owners destroyed 3rd gear syncros while driving with semi-broken selespeed, and that JTS is weaker than TS when as is. Both issues can be addressed, but I can't be bothered, especially so that I'm going to race another car next season.

So as for selespeed on the track.

Pros:
1. Never a misshift. I certainly lost a few good laps to getting lost between gears.
2. Rev matching downshifts with no effort. This is a big one - I can't heel-toe so downshifts are rough and take attention off the track. Click and forget is so much better, not to mention the buttery smooth rev matching.

Cons:
1. Upshifts on its own when hits the limiter.
2. The limiter is 5000 rpm lower.
3. Requires some periodical maintenance and possibly repairs. This a minor one, as once you set it up once, you're good for quite some time.

And while its upshifts don't feel quick, it seems like they are on par with a manual.

warsch

« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2021, 09:16:04 AM »
Yeah I found most modifications are pretty pointless besides brake pads and tyres for track days. But it's hard to tell as you would need to test them back to back and conditions are always changing.

Lots of the upgrades work, it's just that driver mod and seat time beats a lot of them too. Especially shaving off some 4 kg of roof liner.

In my opinion, adjustable coilovers are a must (but you can get away with some sporty suspension for some time), obviously brakes. All the other stuff works too, just does not translate straight to lap times. Polybushes, rose-jointed arms, braces and so on.

Alfatango

« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2021, 12:22:15 PM »

Lots of the upgrades work, it's just that driver mod and seat time beats a lot of them too. Especially shaving off some 4 kg of roof liner.

In my opinion, adjustable coilovers are a must (but you can get away with some sporty suspension for some time), obviously brakes. All the other stuff works too, just does not translate straight to lap times. Polybushes, rose-jointed arms, braces and so on.

Yeah I was having this exact discussion with a friend. He is an avid iracer in the sim world but has never taken a car to the track. His criteria for a track car was that he wants to push a car on a track hard. He is talking about coil overs and sway bars etc and I told him to start going to a track in a half decent car with some ebc style brake pads and michellin tyres and go from there. In any sim game you can get the perfect lap after crashing 1000 times. In real life, just building up the courage to brake later than your previous braking point is a big thing. But it takes a long time to find the right braking point and it changes per track ;D. Conditions such as weather, lighting, grip levels change throughout a track day. Your car changes from track to track day as well on occasions. As you said warsch it's the driver mod and seat time that counts the most.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »
Probably won't be applying for any tailor positions but at least I won't cut myself on metal. Pvc is $20, glue $10, material $10.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs