Author Topic: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project  (Read 15522 times)

Alfatango

Re: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »
Yep, it's confirmed, you have WAAY too much free time on your hands!  :)

Lock down racing ;)
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Beatle

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2021, 07:18:35 PM »
Tartan trim for the door skin

Hmm, giving me flashbacks to a TR7.........
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
  • AROCA Member #: 870
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2021, 08:29:47 PM »

Yeah, the type that make you sit bolt upright in the middle of the night screaming . . . .  ;D

Going to re do the dash into a mahogany color to give the car an early italian race car / ferrari vibe.

Oh yeah, both of them together just screams italian race car . . . . :o

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:35:49 PM by bazzbazz »
ON THE SPOT ALFA
Mobile Alfa Romeo & Fiat Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance & Servicing
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

Alfatango

« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2021, 08:46:18 PM »

Yeah, the type that make you sit bolt upright in the middle of the night screaming . . . .  ;D

Going to re do the dash into a mahogany color to give the car an early italian race car / ferrari vibe.

Oh yeah, both of them together just screams italian race car . . . . :o

;D ;D ;D

$20 bucks of ebay and bunnings supplies is probably different to modena ;D.

159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
Will be doing a Yellow Front end as per early guilias so stay tuned. Already got the wrap.

Wheels will be going white as per 156 touring cars.

Doing a Martini stripe across the car as per brabham/alfa f1 and 155 touring cars.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Brad M

• Administrator
  • AROCA Member #: [Vic]490A
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2021, 09:33:28 AM »
Thanks I'm enjoying this thread... it's great inspiration to get my twinspark ready.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

warsch

« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2021, 10:33:17 AM »
Might just stick with the standard exhaust in that case as dont want to put in a new exhaust if I mess up the cats or sensors. Maybe do it down the track.

Can't get dry ice as in 5km lock down so went old school with a chisel and hammer. There are a couple of holes in the wheel well that were these square stickers and look kind of factory or could be rust repairs. Either way, if I was to buy a mig welder what type of metal would you use for patches? Can you weld with the fuel tank in the car?

I think all TS 156s in Asutralia were CF2, so only one o2 sensor before the cat. So no downside of getting rid of it in the race car. If just gut it, the sound will be terrible tin can rattle at some revs, but still not too noisy if you keep the rest in place.

Why bother with fuel tank in the trunk though?

warsch

« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »
Yep, it's confirmed, you have WAAY too much free time on your hands!  :)

Oh yeah, I'm jealous. My car badly needs some upgrades but all it gets is abuse at a racetrack.

Alfatango

« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »
Thanks I'm enjoying this thread... it's great inspiration to get my twinspark ready.

Thanks. Positing the pics seems to help keep the momentum up. I guess it's why guys like Jeff do the vids on youtube for the Alfarrari on his DIY channel.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »
Might just stick with the standard exhaust in that case as dont want to put in a new exhaust if I mess up the cats or sensors. Maybe do it down the track.

Can't get dry ice as in 5km lock down so went old school with a chisel and hammer. There are a couple of holes in the wheel well that were these square stickers and look kind of factory or could be rust repairs. Either way, if I was to buy a mig welder what type of metal would you use for patches? Can you weld with the fuel tank in the car?

I think all TS 156s in Asutralia were CF2, so only one o2 sensor before the cat. So no downside of getting rid of it in the race car. If just gut it, the sound will be terrible tin can rattle at some revs, but still not too noisy if you keep the rest in place.

Why bother with fuel tank in the trunk though?

Okay so you are saying cut out the cats and leave the muffler?

The welding in the wheel well is a serious question, is it unsafe to weld near the fuel tank? Or weld the seat brackets in near the gearbox? I haven't welded before and come to think most people weld when the car is completely apart. Happy to go with some non blowing up options to fix the holes in the wheel well and ex tow bar holes.

What about dry ice with the sound deadening underneath the rear seats? Can this have an impact on the fuel tank?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:26:29 AM by Alfatango »
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Beatle

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2021, 09:54:48 PM »
Not saying you SHOULD, but you CAN weld with the fuel tank in the car.  Panelbeaters and exhaust shops do it all the time.

BUT, you need to fully understand the situation and do a full risk assessment.

When in doubt.....DON'T!!!!

It's not just the tank.  You need to consider fuel lines, vapour/recirc system, what's on the other side of the panel you are welding? etc etc etc. 

Less of a physical risk to your safety, but also consider potential damage to electrical and electronic equipment.  Battery, ECUs etc etc.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Alfatango

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2021, 12:11:27 PM »
Not saying you SHOULD, but you CAN weld with the fuel tank in the car.  Panelbeaters and exhaust shops do it all the time.

BUT, you need to fully understand the situation and do a full risk assessment.

When in doubt.....DON'T!!!!

It's not just the tank.  You need to consider fuel lines, vapour/recirc system, what's on the other side of the panel you are welding? etc etc etc. 

Less of a physical risk to your safety, but also consider potential damage to electrical and electronic equipment.  Battery, ECUs etc etc.

Thanks Beatle. I have had a look at Bunnings and there are MIG Welders for around $150 but as always by the time you buy everything you need it will probably be around $500 and not really sure I will be using it again as don't really have the space for another Project car. Although an alfetta would be fun to build...
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

warsch

« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »

Okay so you are saying cut out the cats and leave the muffler?

The welding in the wheel well is a serious question, is it unsafe to weld near the fuel tank? Or weld the seat brackets in near the gearbox? I haven't welded before and come to think most people weld when the car is completely apart. Happy to go with some non blowing up options to fix the holes in the wheel well and ex tow bar holes.

What about dry ice with the sound deadening underneath the rear seats? Can this have an impact on the fuel tank?

That's what I've done with my cat converter. No issues apart from terrible tin can sound. But I can live with that. Easy to sort by welding in a pipe.

Seat brackets are nowhere near the gearbox, there's fuel lines somewhere though so worth checking. But why bother with some holes in the boots? I'd just seal with some sticky tape. Or just leave it as is.

As for welding - it takes time to learn and while I wouldn't mind welding up holes in the boot myself, I surely wouldn't trust myself with seat brackets.

I have no idea about dry ice, but I think it should be ok. Then, I must admit, I am Russian and we tend to just do whatever stupid comes across our minds hoping for the best.

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
  • AROCA Member #: 870
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2021, 02:29:10 PM »
Then, I must admit, I am Russian and we tend to just do whatever stupid comes across our minds hoping for the best.

Oh, you are sooo going to regret saying that one day . . . .

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 02:32:25 PM by bazzbazz »
ON THE SPOT ALFA
Mobile Alfa Romeo & Fiat Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance & Servicing
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

Beatle

« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2021, 05:20:02 PM »

Then, I must admit, I am Russian and we tend to just do whatever stupid comes across our minds hoping for the best.

You mean like "hey, we have this spare intercontinental ballistic missile... I wonder what would happen if we strapped a guy to the front of it at fired him out of the atmosphere...."   They say necessity is the mother of invention but I don't know that this was actually necessary?  Fun nonetheless.

PS:  The dry ice won't cause any issues.  It's not liquid nitrogen cold.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd