Author Topic: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project  (Read 15541 times)

Alfatango

Re: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »
It's a pretty cool seat
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2021, 03:31:14 PM »
Door closes fine.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2021, 03:34:32 PM »
I will probably get Maureci Motors to cut out the frame and weld it to the floor. Would they weld in the L Shape brackets to the floor in that case? Or do you make a new square frame and than weld in the L shape brackets like these

Most bucket seats are mounted via L brackets, but you can't just bolt them to the floor, that's unsafe.

You do something like FIA appendix J (or close to it, unless you do rallies)

https://www.murraymotorsport.com/grp4-fabrications-fia-seat-mounting-kit-bolt-in-grp5093

Something like the above, but maybe fabricated locally

Hey Warsch, to install this, would you cut out the whole section and weld these to the floor or its it the top part of the factory rail only and you mount these instead?
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

bazzbazz

• ON THE SPOT ALFA
  • AROCA Member #: 870
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »
No turning back now. Hopefully the car still starts ;D

Isn't this where someone pipes up with "OH MY GOD! YOU DIDN'T CUT THAT WIRE DID YOU!!!"   :o

;D
ON THE SPOT ALFA
Mobile Alfa Romeo & Fiat Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance & Servicing
Brisbane & Gold Coast
0405 721613
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

Alfatango

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2021, 05:22:56 PM »
No turning back now. Hopefully the car still starts ;D

Isn't this where someone pipes up with "OH MY GOD! YOU DIDN'T CUT THAT WIRE DID YOU!!!"   :o

;D

Lol yeah I was kind of half expecting it ;D. Ideally I would have taken out the dashboard and cut them out from the source but maybe that's a stage 2 job with spot welding the  chassis.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

warsch

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2021, 06:55:17 PM »
Trial fitted the L Brackets and Momo XL Daytona and it fits but but get sliding rails if you planning to not cut out the factory rails. It's way too close to the steering wheel for me and I wouldn't mind some more head room.

I told you so!

warsch

« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2021, 07:01:34 PM »
Hey Warsch, to install this, would you cut out the whole section and weld these to the floor or its it the top part of the factory rail only and you mount these instead?

Iíd cut this standard bracket off, itís too close to the steering wheel and too high.

However, like I said, mounting L brackets to the floor is unsafe.

You need some bars welded across. That link has quite good pictures showing the end result.

For small time circuit racing you can get away with some simpler stuff like two perpendicular bars on top of which you mount L brackets.

My setup now is just a bucket seat on standard rails so I canít take pictures. Iíll look something up online

Alfatango

« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2021, 07:34:10 PM »

Iíd cut this standard bracket off, itís too close to the steering wheel and too high.

However, like I said, mounting L brackets to the floor is unsafe.

You need some bars welded across. That link has quite good pictures showing the end result.

For small time circuit racing you can get away with some simpler stuff like two perpendicular bars on top of which you mount L brackets.

My setup now is just a bucket seat on standard rails so I canít take pictures. Iíll look something up online

Finally makes sense
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2021, 07:43:18 PM »
Here it looks like they took out the previous whole section
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Sheldon McIntosh

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2021, 09:26:36 PM »
Only just saw this thread.  Nice work on the build so far.

Go over the TS Cup regulations very carefully.  You WILL want to get involved with it after a few track days.  And build your car to those regulations, you don't want to be backtracking and refitting stuff you've removed.  Regarding windows and switches, you need to keep glass for the TS Cup, so just keep the switches in situ. 

My advice would be to do as much as you can while keeping to the TS Cup regs, come to a few track days to shakedown the car, and talk to as many TS Cup competitors as possible, and have a good look over their cars.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Federal tyres either, they're shit, barely better than a road tyre, and nowhere near as good as a decent R tyre.  But it's the same for everyone, so all good.  From memory they work best with a high pressure.

Good luck with the build.

Alfatango

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2021, 08:49:16 PM »
I managed to get the tow bar off so that saves some weight ;D

While I was down there, I had a look at the exhaust. If I wanted to chop of the muffler, can I just angle grind it off? Would it still pass noise limit tests for track days without the muffler? Does it need a pipe welded onto it to take the exhaust gas past the bumper?

I checked the Twin Spark Cup regulations and it says the exhaust is free from manifold back and you can get rid of the muffler.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

Alfatango

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2021, 09:18:15 AM »
The Brabham achievement of winning a f1 championship in his own manufactured car should be told more often. A clue to some up coming livery.

Note - use proper cleaner and decal/wrap application liquid and you get no air bubbles and a very smooth finish

By the way Brabham are stilling winning races with their track cars and are based in Australia https://www.brabhamautomotive.com/
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs

warsch

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2021, 11:47:49 AM »
If I wanted to chop of the muffler, can I just angle grind it off? Would it still pass noise limit tests for track days without the muffler? Does it need a pipe welded onto it to take the exhaust gas past the bumper?

I checked the Twin Spark Cup regulations and it says the exhaust is free from manifold back and you can get rid of the muffler.

Just chopping it off is ugly, get the exhaust shop to weld in some basic straight hot dog muffler at least. I recommend gutting the catalytic converter, or even better to replace it with a pipe. Scrappies will buy it for about a hundred which is about the same as you'd pay to weld in a pipe instead. I simply gutted mine and noticed a fair bit of torque at the low end. I assume it helped in high rev range too it's just not that obvious.

warsch

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
Go over the TS Cup regulations very carefully.  You WILL want to get involved with it after a few track days.  And build your car to those regulations, you don't want to be backtracking and refitting stuff you've removed.  Regarding windows and switches, you need to keep glass for the TS Cup, so just keep the switches in situ. 

My advice would be to do as much as you can while keeping to the TS Cup regs, come to a few track days to shakedown the car, and talk to as many TS Cup competitors as possible, and have a good look over their cars.

Solid advice right there!

Alfatango

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »
If I wanted to chop of the muffler, can I just angle grind it off? Would it still pass noise limit tests for track days without the muffler? Does it need a pipe welded onto it to take the exhaust gas past the bumper?

Just chopping it off is ugly, get the exhaust shop to weld in some basic straight hot dog muffler at least. I recommend gutting the catalytic converter, or even better to replace it with a pipe. Scrappies will buy it for about a hundred which is about the same as you'd pay to weld in a pipe instead. I simply gutted mine and noticed a fair bit of torque at the low end. I assume it helped in high rev range too it's just not that obvious.

Thanks again warsch. I did some research and apparently cutting out all the cats and doing a straight pipe will probably throw an ecu error due to the oxygen sensors and the car will go into limp home mode.

Can gutting the cat be done in a home garage on Jack stands? I have found from previous work that anything with undoing bolts that are part of the exhaust is almost impossible. I have tried wd40 and pipes on the end of wrenches on previous cars and couldn't finish the job myself so maybe I should leave this for an exhaust shop? I will cut the muffler off anyway as I listened to some twin sparks with straight pipes on youtube and they sound pretty awesome. The sound obviously sounds faster than the actual speed off the car ;D.

But I could imagine doing an enduro with a straight pipe and no interior could lead to a head ache? Or is that part of the challenge? I don't want to do stuff that doesn't make much of a difference if I don't need to.
159 3.2 JTS TI

Previous 2x GTs