Twin Spark Cup 156 Project

Started by Alfatango, August 15, 2021, 10:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warsch

Judging by AGI's full cage pictures, I don't think you can order half cage and then buy the rest later. The full one has pegs protruding towards the front from the main hoop. And some sockets for door diagonals.

Yeah, degassing is required. It's handy when you already have non functional aircon that leaked all the gas prior. Yes, you unbolt the compressor, then its bracket, remove all the pipes and condenser (radiator). Pipes are allow, so you can just break them where you can reach and leave the rest till better times. You need 6PK1080 belt.

That lexan kit costs so much. I reckon you can get a set locally cheaper. There's a local Alfisti here in QLD that does it, though I never asked the pricing.

warsch

There's only one fan behind the radiator and you sure want to keep it. Maybe go lightweight but you still want it there for when you line up for the start etc.

You sure can pay for all the work, I just have the mindset of doing the most of the work myself. Some may not be confident to work on suspension or brakes, but getting rid of an aircon is surely low risk exercise.

Please update on what AGI say about extending the cage.

warsch

Well, I guess the bringing back part is a deal breaker for me.

Ok, so I assume your car is the same CF2 version as mine, which means there's only one cat underneath. All the O2 sensors this car has are before the cat, so you can do whatever. I my case, I just unbolted the exhaust and gutted the cat with a crow bar. It made substantial gain in the lower rev range, made the car much more pleasant in traffic. Hard to tell if did much at higher revs, but certainly haven't made it worse, apart from terrible tin can sound. Later I learned that you can sell a cat for $100, which usually what exhaust shops would ask for welding in a straight pipe.

Now 147s are different as they are CF3 with three cats. I think you still can get rid of them and the engine wouldn't mind. But never tried.

warsch

The aircon is a dead weight and quite a power drain. The heater/blower does just fine in the rain, though I have to admit I've participated in 24h endurance. But I also don't think there's high chances of participating in 24h in the rain.

I wonder what is the lap time difference with aircon on and off, might be interesting to try. I reckon it's a few tenths a lap.

Citroënbender

It would be difficult to quantify an exact difference due to the displacement control valve.

Compressor is about 4.5kg dressed, there's 600-odd grams of gas, probably another 4-5kg in the evaporator, condenser, drier and plumbing. So 9-10 kilograms of system mass; likely a little over 1% of your race weight.

warsch

It's 10 kg on the front axle which is overloaded, so it's always a good thing. 1% does not matter that much, but it's 1% here, another 1% there, and suddenly the car is 10% lighter.

Though I was more about leaving it running and draining power off the engine. Not sure if it can by dynoed, but lap times with aircon on and off are easy to compare.

Citroënbender

The other effect of AC on, is fan running constantly at least on low speed. So there's probably an electrical draw of 100-120W which translates as extra load at the alternator pulley.

Beatle

Quote from: Alfatango on January 18, 2022, 11:48:33 AM
Just reading some track car threads and a good poiint for keeping the air con is to keep the front windows from fogging up on colder raining days. May be applicable if you are doing a 24h race.

I doubt the 156 aircon would make any noticeable difference to screen fogging on a stripped out track car in the wet.......   It can barely keep up in normal road use.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

martym00se72

Quote from: warsch on December 06, 2021, 12:57:24 PM
As for the rear harness straps - I opted for a 3 mm steel plate that I used to reinforce the thin rear wall metal.

Can you put up some pics of this option please? I am doing F98 in SA and want to mount the harness straps near horizontal as I have just invested in a FHR and decent helmet. Was thinking whether a bar could be attached to the child seat anchor points or eye bolts through the rear head rest holes with a backing plate. It's a full street car, so not tricked out like OP's nice piece of work, but a load of fun and I have decided to do it all a bit safer - the FHR instructions say it is pretty dangerous having the shoulder strap anchor points down low (currently my harness is anchored in the same manner as OP and scrutineers have given me a going over once or twice - one even said I should use my normal seat belt in place of the harness (WTAF!!)). Wanting options that do not destroy the interior, but can live without the rear headrests in place when on track.
Cheers
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

warsch

The way I have mine set up, requires removal of rear seats. I drilled through the rear firewall and just put the steel plate across from the back.

It is reversible (save for the holes) but will take some time to undo and redo. My car is about as stripped as the OPs, so I don't mind that.

Child seat harness mounts are too flimsy in my opinion. They are fine for a child, but I don't think they will hold up well for a heavy adult in motorsports environment

bazzbazz

Quote from: warsch on June 09, 2022, 04:53:47 PM
Child seat harness mounts are too flimsy in my opinion. They are fine for a child, but I don't think they will hold up well for a heavy adult in motorsports environment

I agree about the child seat mounts, and as for you being "heavy", I think you're missus would say you are just extra cuddly.  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

Quote from: Alfatango on June 14, 2022, 07:53:18 PM
Yeah it's not the best but playing musical chairs with multiple cars gets tiring ::)

Frank! I need you to move the 156 so I can get to the 75 so I can move the Alfetta so I can reverse the Brera and take the 147 . . . . . . .

Some say tiring, others say blessing . . . . . .  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Craig_m67

I didn't know about that auction site.. cheers 👍
GLWTA

and.... OMG; yellow Giulia Super, fark'n gorgeous!
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)