Cost of 'no cambelt change' for GQV 2012

Started by shiny_car, August 05, 2021, 04:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiny_car

Not looking for sympathy.  Just showing what it costs when the belt is not changed.

I've had this GQV for 2 weeks, and today, I was driving to Zagame for a service, including belt change.  Today was the earliest I could organise it.

Alfisti amongst us clearly recognise that a belt that was last changed in 2016 (5 years) and 98K km's ago, is overdue.

Engine shut down about 30 km's from the dealer.  'Towed' the rest of the way.  This is what they found:

Big thanks to the previous owner for not having it done on time...NOT.

Possibly up to $6K to fix, by removing heads, reconditioning the cylinder domes, replacing valves/valve seats, pistons, grinding, bla bla, labour.

Another Alfa going to Alfa heaven sadly.
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Colin Edwards

Feel your pain.  Zagame is a club sponsor and may offer a discounted repair price.  Contact them and ask to talk to Damon. 
Repaired and with a new cambelt, this car could be worth around $10K.  If you need to purchase something to replace the GQV, what would you be prepared to pay?  Proceeding with the repair may be commercially viable.

Call around to other club sponsor / workshops.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bteoh

Oh noooo......That is bad luck indeed. So close to the dealer for this to happen. I feel your pain  :(

shiny_car

Yep, pain in the wallet.  :P

Quote from: Colin Edwards on August 06, 2021, 12:19:00 PM
Feel your pain.  Zagame is a club sponsor and may offer a discounted repair price.  Contact them and ask to talk to Damon. 
Repaired and with a new cambelt, this car could be worth around $10K.  If you need to purchase something to replace the GQV, what would you be prepared to pay?  Proceeding with the repair may be commercially viable.

Call around to other club sponsor / workshops.

Thanks Colin.

The car was 'towed' to Zagame, where I was headed to, for the service.  Unfortunately, I decided it wasn't the best option to repair, given what I paid for the car, it's overall age and condition, and considering other vehicles available.

After a chat with Rob and Damon, I've 'traded' the vehicle on a 2015 GQV TCT.  It was possibly owned by a member here, don't know.  But it's extremely low km's and allegedly in top condition (and I've now seen photos to support that).  Changing over in a couple weeks, subject to lockdown!!

It's just a nuisance being without a daily driver, and having to pull out another car from the garage to go to work, lol (1st world problem!).

Regards, Richard
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Colin Edwards

Good to learn of a relatively positive outcome.  You wont be disappointed with a TCT equipped QV. The additional kW's and lighter engine make a noticeable difference to performance and economy. 
Robert and Damon are true Alfisti, passionate club supporters and a pleasure to deal with. 
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bteoh

Hey Richard,
Glad you had a good option to turn to. My wife has a Giulietta Veloce and it is brilliant to drive. We got the 4C red which looks stunning. I also got it from Damon as the local dealer wasn't great to deal with.
Good luck with the new car  :)
P.S, Had some sagas with my Intrax shocks but that's another story  :)

alfamisa

Quote from: Colin Edwards on August 06, 2021, 02:13:24 PM
Good to learn of a relatively positive outcome.  You wont be disappointed with a TCT equipped QV. The additional kW's and lighter engine make a noticeable difference to performance and economy. 
Robert and Damon are true Alfisti, passionate club supporters and a pleasure to deal with.
I guess you don't realise that the alloy block saves 15kg...exactly the same weight that is gained by TCT mechanism = net weight gain 0. You won't notice extra 4KW power either but you notice that the TCT is the fastest way to accelerate matching optimum gear to torque/power. Plus it allows launch control on 1750 TCT.
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.