ARC correction for LED lights?

Started by GTVeloce, July 16, 2021, 12:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Yes, most were from ledshoponline although the cluster lights I think were from Stedi, who also make excellent lights. I would happily buy again from either however Stedi is more focused on bigger lights like led bars and spot lights. Their range for small bulbs are much smaller.

I don't believe the dash board lights are connected to the ARC IIRC. I updated them after I had installed led front park lights so many warning light was already on.

The indicators won't affect the ARC but you will need the electronic flasher unit (ledshoponline sell them) or you will get hyper-flashing. And it's not a drop-in - you will need to alter the wiring slightly as the number of pins are different between the original and electronic but it's not too hard.

bteoh

Ok thanks.
I have ordered the globes from eslighting as their description for the indicator globes mention no hyper flash problems.
Will report on how effective they are when I get them.

shiny_car

Quote from: GTVeloce on July 28, 2021, 10:18:53 AMThe indicators won't affect the ARC but you will need the electronic flasher unit (ledshoponline sell them) or you will get hyper-flashing. And it's not a drop-in - you will need to alter the wiring slightly as the number of pins are different between the original and electronic but it's not too hard.

Thanks for the info!

Which flasher unit suits the 75? I haven't investigated.  2-pin or 3-pin?  I presume the 3-pin.

https://www.ledshoponline.com.au/product/12v-electronic-flasher-3-pin/
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

GTVeloce

Hm, it's not quite so straight forward. The 75 flasher is 4-pin! I bought the 3-pin and played around until I got it to work however I ran out of time and didn't quite finish the job... so I never got the indicator indicator (the light on the dash) working but everything else works. The sound is loud enough (without being annoying) that I manage without the light for now but have always planned to finish the job off. When I get a chance I will check my wiring and let people know which connections to make.

GTVeloce

Quote from: bteoh on July 28, 2021, 05:18:29 PM
Ok thanks.
I have ordered the globes from eslighting as their description for the indicator globes mention no hyper flash problems.
Will report on how effective they are when I get them.
Curious to see how they go. I'm guessing they must have built in resistors to stop the hyper-flashing which means they must still draw 21W. The advantage of the electronic flasher is that you can chop and change bulbs (led or not) and the flashing speed should stay the change.

shiny_car

Quote from: GTVeloce on July 28, 2021, 09:29:52 PM
Hm, it's not quite so straight forward. The 75 flasher is 4-pin!

Ok, thanks!  I'll have a look at the wiring diagram too.

GTVeloce

My connections are 37 - 49; 39 - 49a; 59 - 31. First number is on the fuse box and second number the pin on the flasher unit. This works however, as mentioned before, the warning light on the dash is not connected.

shiny_car

Unfortunately, the numbers don't mean much to me right now (sorry!) without seeing the fusebox and flasher in person.  I'll get around to looking at the fusebox some time in the future!!

The ledshoponline website says the 3-pin flasher 'replaces' a Narva 68238.  This is the Narva schematic:

So basically, there's a +12V power feed (B), a ground connection (E), and an output wire that goes to the indicator stalk (L).  The wire to the stalk (L) is also designed to feed the dashboard (pilot) light.

Indeed, all you need to do is identify the wire feeding the dash light, and connect it with the wire feeding the stalk (L).

From this labelled and cropped image of the workshop manual wiring schematic:
- I24 (green circle) is the flasher unit
- B6 (blue circle) is the indicator stalk
- wire BN (blue arrow (white with black stripe)) feeds to the stalk (ie: the 'L' wire)
- D2 (red circle) is the dashboard (pilot) light
- wire AN (red arrow (light blue with black strip)) feeds to the D2 light

Thus, you might be able to cut or disconnect the AN wire and join it to the BN one, and it should be all dandy!  I suspect actually finding the wires amongst the mess around the fusebox will be the hardest part.

Anyway, I'll go order a flasher now.   ;D

GTVeloce

Good work Shinycar! Like you said, working out the wires in the back of the fusebox is a bit scary!

I remember at the time (I did this 18 months ago) that I worked out what the numbers meant on the flasher and I've found them again on the Narva site;
https://www.narva.com.au/resources/flasher-application-guide

Essentially: 49 = +ve 12V. 49a = lamps or switch. 31 = earth -ve

From memory I used a multimeter to work out what I figured each pin on the fusebox should do (+12V and earth were easy - the rest were deductions) which is how I got where I got. I doubled up the 49a connection to try and get the dash light to work but IIRC it just made the indicators stay on solid, rather than flash. And then I ran out of time to get further and haven't got back to it. What's 18 months here or there?!

GTVeloce

This is the schematic for the flasher for a GTV/6 (according to Narva) which is slightly different, but essentially operates the same and has the same numbers as the electronic flasher from ledshoponline. Given I haven't done my GTV upgrade yet (although I have all the parts) this could make life easier.

bteoh

Just got my BA15s LED indicator globes. Unfortunately, I got hyperflashing on the RHS. For some reason the left seems ok. Looks like I will have to mod the flasher unit to an LED one 😀
Thanks for the schematic diagram which will make it easier 😀