Which radiators fit, and battery relocation

Started by k76, December 29, 2008, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k76

I'm not quite there yet, but I am getting closer to sending my car off to paint. At least I like to think so!
I'd hate to ruin a freshly painted engine bay, so I'm trying to figure out whatever mods might require grinding & welding etc. I can only think of two, radiator and possibly battery. Although I'm planning on running a stock engine initially I think a bigger radiator is worthwhile doing. So, I've read that the GTV6 radiator fits with some work. How about the 75? which one is bigger?

Moving the battery to the trunk is a maybe, but the more I think about it the more I think it should stay in the engine bay. If I get serious about racing later on I will get a smaller, lighter battery. If I get serious thats probably a 1,2 or 3 years away, I'm thinking the batteries will be even smaller by that time. My reckoning is that the shorter cable I can use in the engine bay will allow me to use a smaller battery in the engine bay than I would in the trunk, and I'll save the weight of the long run of cable as well. So, I'm thinking that there are more useful ways to use my time. I'm keen to hear some opinions!
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

redalfaracing

I run a N13 pulsar aluminium radiator in my fetta sedan, fits with not much effort, is super light and will handle the kw output of the turbo 2000 pulsar engine , so i'm confident it will handle anything i'm likely to do with my 2000 standard alfa engine.And it is only about $150 brand new from a nissan dealer! As for battery i have a 7kg oddessy battery mounted in the cab, on the front of the rear seat support. earthed to the body and the positive goes to the battery isolator on the dash. Shorter cable than from the original mount at the front. Oddessy batteries are leak and vent proof so they dont require a battery box, a bit dearer but so light for the power output. has never failed to start the car, and runs driving lights all night. All this is legal in PRC you would have to check what is legal in whatever class you run.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

John A Pucak

Hi k76, i think from memory you are building a Grp S car . If so, you will have to be careful with your radiator, I have installed a late series alfetta radiator with  a modified high flow core. You need to modify the radiator's "legs" and pick ups for it to fit. It can handle race conditions easily
Hope this helps
John

alfagtv58

Keep in mind that in Group S aluminium radiators is a no no.  Some (in others marques of course) have tried to circumvent this rule, but the eligibility officers are onto it now and starting to clamp down on this rule.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

k76

Well, I'm building a "maybe" group S car, so although I haven't decided how far to go I think it makes sense to keep those rules in mind. So the aluminium radiator is definitely out, although tempting for the price!
John, what does the modified high flow core mean? Is that an off the shelf item somewhere, or something you had made specifically for your car?

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Gary Pearce

It's not an expensive job to simply have your existing radiator re-cored with a '3 core' type, by a friendly radiator expert.
Hardly any more expensive than an average radiator overhaul and your fitting is standard. Just the thing with a race car in case there are any mishaps. This is what I did with my Group S and it runs cool without any fan.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Scott Farquharson

Gary is on the money.  Keeps it cool and legal.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)