Alfa 156 Selespeed Problem

Started by Dr_Doom, May 25, 2021, 05:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr_Doom

Hi, I have a 2005 Alfa Romeo 156 JTS with a Selespeed gearbox.

This happened to me twice right now (happened last week and this week) where the transmission would not shift into any gear (stuck in Neutral).
The first time I got it towed home, where the transmission worked after it was removed from the tow truck.
The second time it happened, I remembered the Tow Truck incident and pushed the vehicle back and forwards while turned on and the gears started shifting again.
There is no warning light and I checked the computer using MultiECU and there are no faults recorded.
The transmission also shifts fine during normal use.

Anyone here know what the issue might be?

Thanks.

bazzbazz

I would say you could be suffering from worn brushes in the Selespeed pump. Basically when the brushes wear out they will stick and not make contact with the commutator.

Movement or vibration in the car can be enough to dislodge them and the pump will run again. Also they tend to stick more when the pump is hot, hence when everything is cooled down it magically works again. Also every time you manually test the pump it will of course always work, "Sods Law" and all.

I would recommend that if you change the pump that you also change the pump relay and the Accumulator as well, as these both wear in conjunction with the pump. While your there changing the pump you'd better change the other two, because I can guarantee that shortly afterwards one of the other will so fail as well if you don't.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Dr_Doom

Ok, do you know where the components are located? Also do you think that the pump brushes are serviceable?
I am very good with my hands and more than willing to tinker around repairing parts instead of forking good money on brand new parts.
Also if I end up not fixing the components, will I be able to move the car forwards and backwards for the rest of the car's lifetime or will it completely fail in the long run.

Thank you for your reply.

Dr_Doom

Hi, I just replaced the brushes on the motor and it works fine, but now every so often (maybe 30sec to a min) the warning light comes on and it disengages. After a few seconds it works again, only for the cycle to repeat.
I checked on MultiECU and an error comes up regarding low pressure.
My suspicion is that there is now air in the system when I removed the hoses from the motor.
If this is the case, how do we bleed the system?

Thanks

bazzbazz

Make sure the reservoir is full to the correct level, then in MES go to the Adjustments Tab and select "Clutch Drain".
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au