Alfa 156 2.5

Started by joestram, May 07, 2021, 08:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joestram

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a 156 2.5 and have been on the lookout for a manual for a while without being successful.
Are the auto's fun to drive?
Are there any issue with them? I hear they are better than the selespeed. Is that true?
Does it have paddle shifters or just via the gear lever.
Does the manual feel more powerful than the auto or is it a similar drive?
Thanks
Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

warsch

Yeah, it seems like manual 2.5 are now rare and when they appear they aren't cheap.

I have a 2.5 auto, I also have 2.0 selespeed and 2.0 manual so I guess I can compare them well.

Auto is fun but it is 4-speed and its 0-100 is obvisouly not as good as a 6-speed manual. 2.5 auto is about the same performance as 2.0 manual/selespeed.

But all the busso soundtrack, it's revving - it's all there so quite a good fun. There are no paddles with an auto, but the level has H-pattern so can choose the gears manually if you wish to.

This auto is quite bulletproff, robust and fairly smooth. Its "sport" mode is actually sport and allow the engine to almost redline. If they are better or not than selespeeds depends on the criteria. They are more reliable and require much less maintenance (just oil change in auto) vs calibration and adjustments on selespeeds. Selespeed also have part that eventually wear out and require replacement.

poohbah

Hi Joe,

I've owned both. While I always prefer the manual, due to better pick-up and throttle response, they are as you say very hard to find. I've had my Q-auto for 5 years as my daily driver, and its the best auto transmission of any I've driven over the years. I've never had any problems to date with the trans, so they seem pretty robust being a conventional Aisin torque-converter type underneath.

I pretty much exclusively use it in manual mode - I don't like the early change up in city mode, and the sport mode holds 2nd way too long once you've accelerated to your desired speed. 

Manual shifting offers at least some of the fun of a stick without the pretty heavy clutch of the manual, because you can really keep it in the sweet spot above 4000rpm when you want. The main downside is the tall gearing for 2nd & 3rd, which are really not geared for sprints.

I've also found that my fuel consumption is probably marginally better in manual mode - average about 10L/100km which is pretty good for a 22yo V6 doing 350km a week in peak hour traffic.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

johnl

Quote from: poohbah on May 10, 2021, 01:01:38 PM
I've had my Q-auto for 5 years as my daily driver, and its the best auto transmission of any I've driven over the years. I've never had any problems to date with the trans, so they seem pretty robust being a conventional Aisin torque-converter type underneath.

Our Saab 9-5 also has an Aisin transmission, which I think is the best automatic gearbox I've ever driven (the lazy turbo torque does help with an auto box...).

Regards,
John.

joestram

Thanks everyone - I'm keeping my eye out for a manual and when i get more impatient, I might now consider an auto.
I've also been toying with the idea of a series 2 166 - but like the 156, they rarely come up for sale.
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Beatle

Hi Joe,
Have you considered a 3.2 GT?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

bazzbazz

Quote from: Beatle on May 19, 2021, 07:48:46 PM
Hi Joe,

Feeling a little reminiscent are we?  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

joestram

Hi Joe,

Hi Beatle,
Yes, would love one, unfortunately the budget doesn't extend that far...
Thanks
Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Beatle

Quote from: joestram on May 19, 2021, 10:04:11 PM
Hi Joe,

Hi Beatle,
Yes, would love one, unfortunately the budget doesn't extend that far...
Thanks
Joe

I still miss every one of them Bazz  :D
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

bazzbazz

It appears poor Beatle is now Alfa-less! Shall we pass the hat around and help him get back into his natural driving habitat?   ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

warsch

I have a cheap 156 JST selespeed DIY kit for sale. Kit as it requires a replacement gearbox, but the gearbox is supplied.