Alfa 156 2.5V6 auto ABS issue (second-hand abs unit chasing.)

Started by ytcpu123, April 24, 2021, 12:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytcpu123

Hello there,   
Just bought a 156 CF1 2.5 V6 4-sp Q-system, and it has a Abs module failure i believe, because it has abs and handbrake light on the dash, and the speedo not working.
So i have been looking for a suitable abs unit for a long time, and it's very hard to find one for my 156. Because i believe there are two different types abs units for 2.5v6 engine, one for manual and another one is for Auto.
And it has two Part Number on abs unit, one is printed on abs alloy pump, another one is a sticker on abs module.

So i am guessing the second-hand Part that i am looking for must match the both two numbers of my abs unit.
Am I understanding correct or not? Because i found that some second-hand abs pump has the same PN as mine but different number of the abs module. So i am afraid it won't suit my vehicle.

Anyone who has experienced the same issue please give me a hand.

Also my PN on abs unit are:

The sticker on abs module is
861051 0 273 004 383

The number on abs alloy pump is  0265216401.

Thanks in advance.

poohbah

Are you sure you don't have a short somewhere?

Few years back I lost temp gauge, clock and fuel gauge after changing a stereo head unit (forgot to disconnect battery ...doh). Unfortunately, I had to replace the entire fuse basket under the dash.

I've also had the ABS light come on a couple of times - first time was simply a blown fuse in the box on top of the battery, though there weren't any other failures. Second time, it was tracked down to a poor earth.

Both cars were V6 156 -one manua1 one auto.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

If all the associated fuses are ok it will be the ABS unit, I have come across this type of failure many times.

Just one thing to note, you do not have to replace the whole ABS unit, just the plastic ECU module bolted to the front of the Aluminium ABS block. It is only held on with 6 screws, remove them, loosen a few lines to give access and it slides off, slide new one on.

Quote from: ytcpu123 on April 24, 2021, 12:12:03 PM
The number on abs alloy pump is  0265216401.

This is the important number, as long as it is from a 156 2.5V6 from the same year you should be right.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au