Steering noise in 3.2 Brera

Started by WTBalfabrera, March 19, 2021, 06:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTBalfabrera

I was able to get my hands on a 2007 Brera 3.2 JTS with only 58000km on the car.  Unfortunately it has the red power steering fluid. The steering is quiet (though feels a bit heavy for an AWD) unless at full lock, at which point a whine can be heard from the outside of the car.

Is this the sign of a failing power steering mechanism as is common with the 939's, or is it normal for these cars?

Also if it is due to the fluid, is the car fine to be driven for short distances to be kept running until this is fixed?

Finally, if anyone has had this problem, how much did it end up costing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers.
2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

bazzbazz

It can be causes by a couple of things -

A/ It could be the filter in the Power Steering Fluid reservoir has come loose and is causing cavitation (air bubbles) in the fluid which causes noise.
Fix - replace the reservoir

B/ There can be a pin hole leak in one of the lines, but this usually is obvious due to leaking fluid.
Fix - replace the culprit hose

C/ Worn Power Steering Pump, usually caused by the fluid level being allowed to get too low at some point and being driven, causing excessive wear in the pump.
Fix - replace the pump

And for this year of car the red fluid is the correct fluid. (Dexron III)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

And don't forget to show off some photos or your new Alfa toy.  8)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

WTBalfabrera

Looks like I have a few things to check tomorrow, thanks for getting back to me. Good to know that the fluid is correct.

Is any noise normal at full lock, or does it definitely mean something may be wrong?

I'll post some photos tomorrow, been too busy taking it out when I can. Really fun to drive.
2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

bazzbazz

Quote from: WTBalfabrera on March 19, 2021, 09:23:49 PM
Is any noise normal at full lock, or does it definitely mean something may be wrong?

At 58,000 km there really shouldn't be any noise.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

WTBalfabrera

Looks like the steering pump will be the culprit, can't find any leaking fluid or turbidity in the reservoir. Due to the low km's the previous owners only stuck to servicing the car every 15000km not every 6 months, so its only been serviced 4 times in 14 years (well overdue). Thanks for the help and as promised some pictures.
2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

WTBalfabrera

2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

WTBalfabrera

2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

WTBalfabrera

2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

WTBalfabrera

2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

WTBalfabrera

2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

kaleuclint

2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

I recommend that you should get your car serviced every 10,000 kms or 12 months, whichever comes up sooner.

However if you wish to pamper your car with more frequent servicing it cannot hurt, but unless you're doing a LOT of kms in a short period of time, every 6 months does seem a little short.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

kaleuclint

Averaging 5000km/year for ten years.
Routine service scheduled every 12 months.

Yet to actually get through any year without a rectification visit to the workshop.  :o
2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

Quote from: kaleuclint on March 29, 2021, 10:49:52 PM
Yet to actually get through any year without a rectification visit to the workshop.  :o

You're obviously driving it wrong . . . .  ;)

"Stand aside . . . dead man walkin . . . stand aside . . . dead man walkin!"

;D ;D ;D

(Sorry, the devil made me say it)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast