Radiator Upgrade

Started by Stu159, March 09, 2021, 01:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu159

Hi,

Has anyone done a radiator upgrade on a V6Q4? Lighter weight? improved cooling? Any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks
Stu
Now: 159 V6 Q4 (2006)
Past: Alfetta GTV 2000L (1980) chrome

Darryl

No. And I have to ask - have you seen any indication it needs one? Never seen it look like getting hot (well - except when the expansion bottle failed...). Curious...

Stu159

thanks everyone for the feedback,

Darryl, yes, definitely needs replacing. Diagnosed by my mechanic. It's actually a victim of the car being lowered. When I had the Bilstein shocks fitted I instructed the guy not to lower the front, just bring the back down, so that the whole car sits level as I always hated the way they tend to sit up at the back. Unfortunately he decided to lower the front and then bring the back down to the same level. I don't do many k's so it was always my intent to have him raise it back up, when I next went for a wheel alignment. In the interim I hit the wrong bump.

I'm more looking to reduce weight wherever I can because as 'tango has pointed out, it's a heavy car. I'll always maintain some sort of originality in the car, but I like the idea of small mods that can improve my drive experience. As things wear out, such as bushes (replaced with Powerflex), shocks as noted, centre cats (removed & high flow rear added), rotors (slotted fronts) I'll always look to upgrade. Hopefully I'll do the same with the radiator as at some point in the future, I'll also look to increase the performance a little, so better cooling will be required.

That's a good idea about the Commodore kits 'Tango and I hear ya and appreciate the other advice too. It'll never be a sports car, but everytime I hit a set of tight bends the shock & bush upgrade does put a smile on my face. You don't have to drive like an idiot or exceed the speed limit to appreciate the better cornering on offer. Advisory speed signs are exactly that. For what it is, it certainly hangs in there now. Let's face it, unless you want to get arrested, there's no where else you can really use the performance these days and one of the great things about the 159 is the Q4 system.

I'll report back if I find and fit an upgrade

thanks again
Stu

Stu159

I have made some inquiries through a local Alfa mechanic who have contacted PWR Radiators in Brisbane, who are prepared to make one. Problem is that I need to send them my radiator, so that they can model everything on that and make it fit and it can take 3-4 weeks. Don't want my car off the road for that long, so I'm on the look out for a second hand V6 radiator, with hoses attached, to send to PWR to work from. Does anyone know where I can source one from? The good news is if I get this done that anyone with a 159 V6 will be able to get a better radiator at a good price, when the time comes, as they'll have what they need on file to make one to order then.

If anyone knows of one I can source, please let me know. Obviously I don't want it free or anything like that but the cheaper the better. You can even have it back afterwards  :)

Stu

Stu159

I ended up going with a new OEM one. I have kept my original one though, so if anyone needs to replace a radiator in a V6 and is interested in splitting the costs for a lightweight, more efficient PWR one, please PM me. There is a cost for the design, then a cost for the production. We could split the cost for design and then pay for your own reproduction individually. This way they also have the design on hand for future productions for others. I can send mine to them as a model to work from, which is the reason I've kept it.

All the best
Stu

GTV6SA

I had a custom alloy one made years ago by superflow in Wollongong,they made them for all the Turbo Subaru's and Misu Evos,I gave them a drawing as I wanted conventional top/bottom tank radiator not crossflow as in most modern cars - best for thermal efficiency in my racecar after experimenting with 4 core crossflow type radiators. Obviously not an option in a 159.