Alfa Giulietta 2013 multi air

Started by jaygtv25, February 25, 2021, 08:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaygtv25

Hi all,
Hope everyone's well.
I just wanted to get some advice on my daughter's 2013 Giulietta.
She's had it for a few months now(1st car) and the last few weeks the engine light has come on .
I've checked with a scanner and it's cylinder 2 valve within the multi air injection.
The thing that troubles me is that the car is running really well and the light might stay on for a day or two then disappear entirely.
Very intermittent.
It's currently at the mechanic for a service but in reading about this, you can't just replace one injector etc.
It's the whole thing.
I'm not a mechanic but I'm wondering if anyone's experienced this and is there a cheaper solution?
Appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks Jason

bazzbazz

If it is the MultiAir solenoid on Cyl #2 that is the problem sometimes changing the oil with fresh oil a couple of times over say 200 km of driving can occasionally rectify the issue, but the majority of the time a new MultiAir Actuator is required.

Unfortunately you can't replace the individual solenoid.

Where are you located?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

Absolutely worst case budgeting info.. there is a 10% discount code (somewhere)

I see Bazz has you covered..
(I have no experience with the multiair, other than reading they are temperamental to the wrong oil)

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=14&secondary=39&opts=3757&term=Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta_1.4_TB_MultiAir_(150/170_Bhp)_Camshaft_Components
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

jaygtv25

Thanks guys, I'm based in Melbourne(Greenvale) and from what I've read it could be the oil I hope.
I know they're  temperamental and can't believe Alfa don't do individual parts.

bazzbazz

Any modern high tech engine is temperamental to the wrong oil or not being serviced properly.

As long as the oil is changed every 10,000 kms or less/12months & the correct spec oil is used the 1.4 MultiAir engine is a very reliable engine.

And a lot of fun too!  (As your daughter has no doubt found out already)  8)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bonno

Hi Jason
Find attached link to Alfa workshop "how to guide" on replacing Multi air actuator for your info. Further to the comments above in particular replacing oil might fix the problem, I would suggest also that replacing only the micro filter might avoid the need to replace the whole Multi air actuator system. No actual experience with this fix, but might be worth a go and save $$$$ in the process.
https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/Alfa_MiTo_1.4_Turbo_Multiair_actuator_removal.shtml

jaygtv25

Thanks everyone for your feedback and time.
I'll look at the link this evening and we'll get the car back tonight.
Hopefully the oil will do the trick.
Could be just a faulty sensor perhaps.