Turbo issues (please help!!)

Started by NewtoAlfa159, February 21, 2021, 07:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewtoAlfa159

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here.

I've been bouncing around between mechanics.

Mechanic 1 says there's no problem at all with my car.
Mechanic 2 says my turbo is completely rooted.

Problem with both diagnostic decisions above: they didn't actually look at the damn turbo at all. I think they call looking at a turbo playing with the hoses and doing a smoke test.

Now here's the problem I'm having.

Before mechanic looked at it and further rooted my car, the car was overboosting at all times. Like as if a vnt was stuck on open.

Now since they've "looked" at it and told me that I need to pay them $6,000 for all 5 injectors and a turbo to be fitted. I thought I would come and get some level headed opinions.
- what it's doing now is, it's overboosting like crazy when the cars cold, and as the car generally warms up, the boost becomes slower and slower until finally you have to press your foot flat to even get the turbo to move to the first line on the gauge.

It's also shakey when cruising, spluttering a little.

Now I don't think the turbo is gone entirely, otherwise it would stop boosting on hot or cold. It would just quite literally be fucked.

And I don't think it's a boost leak like I first thought because I hear the noise, but the noise can be caused by a sticky vnt.

Can anyone provide some information on some issues they've had they have caused similar issues.

Also I'm not a mechanic, but I'm mechanically apt, so my question is, do I get to the vnt from the bottom of the engine by pulling the plastic shrouding off? Or from the top by undoing all the coolant hoses (please say no)

I was thinking I'd try the "mr muscle" trick by pulling the down pipe off and spraying oven cleaner into the exhaust side of the turbo and hoping this frees up the vnt. If anyone could tell me if this has been successful please add to it if not.
- also to add to this as I can't find mr muscle, the only foaming oven cleaner (expanding) is Selleys oven clean from Bunnings which is supposed to be stronger and voted better then mr muscle. Any thoughts?

NewtoAlfa159

kaleuclint

Call Mauceri Motori.  Have (club sponsor -- just getting this in from the get-go) Seb check it out.
2011 159ti 1750TBi