Oil in Water - head gasket vs oil heat exchanger

Started by dfrye, February 19, 2021, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfrye

Before I go pulling a 2L TS apart to find out why there is oil in the water, I am trying to determine if there is any way to determine if the head gasket or the oil filter heat exchanger (or anything else) could be the problem before I rip it apart. It seems to run fine - does not misfire or do anything silly. Tiny white film on oil cap when cold, but very minor.

I "bought" this car having been told it had a coolant leak and subsequently had oil in the water (it has *lots* of oil cream in the water), however I have been unable to find the coolant leak, which makes me question if it has in fact overheated and done the head gasket. Even once the thermo fan cuts in, I don't see any leak. It's been parked for years so can't trust the history story.

* Is there anyway to infer if the oil might be coming from the oil filter heat exchanger vs coming from a head gasket leak?
* There is good pressure at the overflow tank, even after it has been stopped for 15 mins - still overflows - should it?
* What is the normal operating temperature? I seem to recall 90 - with the needle horizontal - this is going beyond that - have not pushed it too far as I don't want to do any more damage. It is possible the thermostat or something else is just so full of smudge that it can't cool itself. The heater does not seem to be doing much either - maybe just full of crap despite having a bottle of flush in it.
* There is a coolant bleed under the throttle body and another on the radiator (drivers side top) - this is a thumb turn that goes through 90 degrees but I can't get it out - to bleed the radiator does this need to come out?

//dean

poohbah

90C is correct temp for normal operating conditions. Fan should come on at abut 95C.

Does sound like head gasket is most likely, sorry.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

dfrye

I think you are right. Any other tips appreciated. To get the radiator out for cleaning, new thermostat, new head gasket and timing belt is a massive job. I can't even figure out how to get those weird hose clips off without destroying them. grrr. Someone here must be proficient on this stuff ...

//dean

bazzbazz

The oil cooler assembly in the 156 is very reliable & robust, I personally have never known of one to fail. Head gaskets on the other hand do fail.

As for the hose clamps, there are basically two types used on the 156 -

1/ Clic-R - These are the reusable ones that can be popped of with a screw driver or with a pair of Click-R pliers. To refit them buy a pair of Clic-R pliers & make your life so much easier.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Car-Clic-Clic-R-Type-Pliers-Hose-Collar-Clip-Swivel-Drive-Tool-Angle-Clamp/254661721030?hash=item3b4b057bc6:g:J7YAAOSwRd5fF-Xn&frcectupt=true

2/ VISA Hose Clamps - These are permanent non reusable and have to be cut off.

https://www.caillau.com/product-item/visa-e/
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

QuoteI personally have never known of one to fail.

Unfortunately Bazz, I've had the "pleasure" in the past - not the cooler itself but one of the rubber hoses. While the part is not expensive, the cost of getting to it can be (at least on the V6).
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

Sorry I should have been clearer, I was referring to the TS & JTS units.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au