MES instructions for clutch self calibration

Started by SeleMatt, January 24, 2021, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeleMatt

The 4 steps of clutch self calibration enable according to the MES instructions:

The procedure must be performed in the following sequence:

1. Press the Execute button (engine must be OFF)

So I take it you have the key on MAR hit the execute button and then Y to continue?

2. Start the engine

So you start the engine...

3. Turn the key OFF and then back to MAR

So you then switch the engine off and back to MAR. However, this has then disconnected the laptop from the ECU and you obviously have to go and reconnect, execute again and press Y to continue.

What is the point of this step?

4. Start in 2nd gear with the accelerator fully pressed, bringing the engine to 3000 revs then release the accelerator.

Should this actually read - 'Start in 2nd gear AND THEN with the accelerator fully pressed , bring the engine to 3000 revs then release the accelerator. 

Plus, according to Bazz, you roll gently to a stop, shut the car down and remove the key and wait 90 seconds before restarting. Then your done.

I'm sure what he says is true, but why isn't this info part of MES instructions? There also no confirmation from MES after you have rolled to a stop that what you've just completed has been successful?

Am I the only one that finds this calibration a bit vague?

bazzbazz

Quote from: SeleMatt on January 24, 2021, 02:53:08 PM
So you then switch the engine off and back to MAR. However, this has then disconnected the laptop from the ECU and you obviously have to go and reconnect, execute again and press Y to continue.

No you don't, once you've pressed Y to continue there is no need to reconnect. What it basically does is clears the current clutch calibration data and sets the ecu to receive new data from the calibration your about to proceed with.

Should this actually read - 'Start in 2nd gear AND THEN with the accelerator fully pressed , bring the engine to 3000 revs then release the accelerator.

It SHOULD read -
"Place gearbox in MANUAL MODE, (so it can't automatically change from 2nd gear should it want to) Start engine, Select Second gear, and then with the accelerator fully pressed , bring the engine to 3000 revs then release the accelerator, bring car to gentle stop"

Plus, according to Bazz, you roll gently to a stop, shut the car down and remove the key and wait 90 seconds before restarting. Then your done.

I suggest to do this as it allows ample time for the system to store the now calibrated data (Latch Up). This should really be done after all calibrations of any sort so that the data has time to be stored correctly. The time needed is different for model of car, Giulietta's for example only require 15 seconds to "Latch Up", as there is no indicated time for 156 cars I just allow 60-90 seconds to give it plenty of time.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

Am I the only one that finds this calibration a bit vague?

"To err is human . . . .To REALLY f@ck things up, you need a computer!"
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

SeleMatt

Most excellent answers Bazz, however;

Step 2; In my car at least, it does disconnect my laptop from the ecu. When I shut the motor down with one notch of the ignition barrel, I have no MAR idiot lights on.

Is this because there's something wrong with my ignition barrel?

Or to put it another way, when I attempted all this the other week, I did this calibration 1st. When I then attempted the rest of the calibrations, the calibration results were all 'Unknown' (the issue that started the previous thread). This was because after step 2, my laptop was no longer connected after shutting the motor down although I obviously didn't realise it.

bazzbazz

No, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Normally there are only 3 positions in the ignition (Not talking about Park Lights position) Off, MAR & Start. So when you turn the engine off with one click back that is off, so it's supposed to disconnect the PC, turn off the engine, and no lights on the dash.

I think you are overthinking this. Once you have hit execute and then Y to continue the PC does not need to be connected again.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast