Selespeed and MES

Started by SeleMatt, January 16, 2021, 11:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeleMatt

Greetings all,

So I've replaced the banjo fitting hydraulic line between the pump and the actuator that was cactus. That went all well and so I've gone to calibrate on MES. I've attempted the clutch drain procedure, actutator base adjustment, engagement lever pin secure diagnosis, selection lever return diagnosis and production/service final calibration and all return 'Status Unknown'. In other words, nothing is happening. None of the procedures will carry out.
I've disconnected and reconnected the battery in an effort to clear any bugs but to no avail.

Any directives greatly appreciated.

bazzbazz

Does it select gears and operate normally?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

SeleMatt

Just to confirm before doing the job all was fine operationally with the gearbox.

Now sometimes the dash says it's in 4th when it's actually in 2nd and then shifts to 5th with a gnash...:( This can happen in city or manual mode.

Also occasionally finding the car in neutral on start up instead of in first and it can also slip into neutral after coming to a stop.

No error codes at all by the way.

I've just been out and had another go at calibration and everything was carried out (all were 00) except final calibration where I got the message 'unable to carry out due to unsuitable conditions' plus the selespeed light started flashing on the dash. The calibration process began with a steady tick tick type sound but it never went into the gear changing mode... Is this because the engine was at full operating temp? Are you meant to carry it out with the engine cold?

Also when I went to start the car in 2nd for the clutch calibration, it wouldn't start and made a beeping sound. I had to select neutral to start it and then select 2nd so I'm not sure if that calibration was successful or not...

It also won't start in 1st gear.

Both position sensors are less than 2 years old.

The car will shift with engine off from 1 to 5 and back down although 3rd and 4th don't have the resounding 'clack' the other 3 do.

Clutch self calibration enable according to the MES instructions:

The procedure must be performed in the following sequence:

1. Press the Execute button (engine must be OFF)

So I take it you have the key on MAR hit the execute button and then Y to continue?

2. Start the engine

and then start the engine...

3. Turn the key OFF and then back to MAR

So you then switch the engine off and back to MAR. However this has then disconnected the laptop from the ECU and you obviously have to go reconnect, execute again and press Y to continue. What is the point of this step?

4. Start in 2nd gear with the accelerator fully pressed, bringing the engine to 3000 revs then release the accelerator.

My car won't currently start in 2nd gear...

...and then according to Bazz, you shut the car down and remove the key and wait 90 seconds before restarting. Then your done. I'm sure this is true, but why isn't this info part of MES instructions? There also no confirmation by MES after you have rolled to a stop that what you've just completed has been successful?

bazzbazz

1/ Disconnect Battery

2/ Clean & check the large 20 pin connector on the Selespeed loom next to the battery.

3/ Leave disconnected for an hour, reconnect, check operation BEFORE doing any tests.

4/ Pray to the gods?  ???

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

SeleMatt

Thanks Bazz.

Just to be clear, drive it around first and see how goes before performing any MES calibrations?

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

SeleMatt

So just did a test drive. Did several stop/start back streets before once again, exiting a roundabout in 2nd but the indicator saying 4. When this happens, the car surges faster/slower under acceleration and if you allow to shift again, which will be 5th, crunch... :(
Dropped into the shops and came back out to find it in neutral again on start up. When I shut it down at home just then, I actually heard it fall out of 1st into neutral just as the motor stopped turning...

bazzbazz

1/ I suggest you need to disconnect the battery & go through all the connections to each sensor & Hydro Valve as well as the large 20 pin connector. Also give the connector to the Selespeed ECU a good going over.

2/ Then leave battery disconnected overnight.

3/ Pray to gods, make human sacrifice.

4/ Reconnect in morning and make sure it goes through all the gears before doing clutch bleed & EOL calibration.

This is assuming that all was well before you changed the banjo bolt line.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

SeleMatt

Hokey dokey. Thanks Bazz.

I'll disconnect the battery now and do the jobs tomorrow. And as for human sacrifices...how does one chose from so many deserving...

bazzbazz

Ahh, Trump, Trump . . . . oh yes, and Trump!
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

SeleMatt

So I sprayed every Selespeed plug/connector with CRC contact cleaner (nothing appeared in any way suspect) and removed, cleaned the gear position sensor on the back of the box because I found it covered in filthy sele fluid from the previously leaking hose; I don't believe it was causing the issues as it was dry inside.

The battery ended up being disconnected for 4 days.

I've been driving around doing a lot of stop/start since Thursday; not one of the issues has raised its obscene head.

Go figure...