Brake Failure in 159's

Started by SusiesAlfa, January 08, 2009, 10:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SusiesAlfa

I would just like to let everyone know about an incident which happened to me yesterday.

I own an Alfa 159 2.2 petrol. It was bought brand new in April last year. It has had 2 services one less than a month ago. I have done about 15000 kms.

Yesterday morning first thing i was driving my car and went to brake and nothing happened (my foot went to the floor), i pumped the brakes and had full brakes again. I thought this might be a bit of a glitch so drive to work with the problem not recurring on my 25km drive to work.

However when i got in my car after work and had travelled about 1 km down the road in peak hour traffic the lights changed to red and i applied the brakes, same thing happened my foot went straight to the floor. Luckily i was travelling at a fair distance from the car in front of me and when i pumped the brakes was able to stop in time.

The weather yesterday was very dry and extrememely hot about 37 C.

I rang the Alfa roadside assist number and they were very concerned and sent a tow truck to tow my vehicle to the dealer (which i might add is about 150kms from where i am located).

I rang the dealer today who advised me they had never had this problem happen, I was happy to fill them in about the recall in the UK as they said they were not aware of it.

Go to the VOSA website in the uk for details about the brake recall in Alfas but it sounds to me like the same issue.

I also told them i would rather wait and have the brakes fixed properly as i do not want this to happen again. I will let you know the outcome.

I have to say i was very impressed with the Alfa assist.

Anyone else had this issue her in Australia. I know there was about 9 in the UK.

Fast Eddie

Out of curiousity - what state?
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Fast Eddie

Recognition is hard to come by and rewarding when received.  Good to know.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

NigelC

Fortunately I haven't had a problem like this and I've now done 50 000 ks in my 159, 2.2 JTS.  But I certainly appreciate the notice, thank you.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust