60-2 twinspark pulley onto nord engine

Started by Storm_X, February 01, 2020, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm_X

Has anyone here had any luck installing a 60-2 twinspark pulley onto nord engine ?
i have a few questions to ask.

Thanks Chris
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Storm_X

Where do I need to mount the cas bracket ¿

LukeC

Need more info...

Are you requiring a CAS for an aftermarket computer on a Nord engine? As in: the TS pulley is convenient, But you are not sure where to place the inductive pickup to get the spark timing right. Or just where to mount it?

If it is an aftermarket programmable ECU, mount it in the most convenient position close about 1 mm from the wheel. The initial timing is set via the ignition off-set in the ECU.

On the Stratos replica I am finishing off ATM, the older Autronic ECU was going to find if difficuld to read the 60-2 inductive pickup on the 3.0 24 valve engine, so I transplanted the 3 toothed wheel from the Datsun V6 to the Alfa front pulley, find conveient bolt hole and make bracket.

Oh: Shorter water pump pointer required.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

jazig.k

This is interesting. I'm gonna be mounting my sensor to the old fuel pump location (electric fuel pump installed and blanking plate ATM). Will make a bracket to suit and incorporate the blanking plate.

Haven't thought of the pulley, but presumed id retrofit a laser cut wheel. Does the TS pulley for straight on? Any issues with Balance comparing the two (has anyone ever compared them on a bearing roller...).

Are you just doing crank position? I'm wondering how I get a cam position fitted and look at full sequential fuel and spark, but not sure if I will. Possibly just use the dizzy for can position.

Jenvy throttle bodies and a bunch of stuff should arrive in the mail shortly but might be a little while before I get to it anyway, as I snapped the clutch input shaft.

LukeC

QuoteDoes the TS pulley for straight on? Any issues with Balance comparing the two

The T-S pulley will bolt straight on. The T-S crank does have a bigger thread on the front of the crank, but everything else is the same. Just use the Nord nut.

The T-S pulley unlike the old Nord pulleys has balance holes (i.e. individually balanced), so no balance issues.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Storm_X

Sorry for the late reply I totally thought no one was going to reply.

Yes I need an easy alternative to a wheel for a cas pick-up for fuel injection.

If anyone has any different ideas im all ears.

Also I've seen you can buy modified distributors with a cam sensor for Datsuns but i haven't seen anything for a nord engine yet.

festy

The Alfa 75 1.8ie was very common in Europe, so if you're after a minimal effort factory EFI conversion then that might be a good source of parts like CAS mounts, 60-2 pulleys, manifolds etc.

On mine I just machined notches into the standard nord pulley, and the CAS mounting bracket doubled as a blanking plate for the now-removed mechanical fuel pump.

Storm_X

I wish I had the machinery to notch up a standard pulley like that, its a really good idea.

Thats for the idea on the manifold but I already have one that I bought from another member.

I have a twin spark pulley but it needs to machined to remove the extra pulley groves that won't be used.

Festy are you familiar with engine  position modules at all ¿

festy

Quote from: Storm_X on July 10, 2020, 07:37:42 PM
I wish I had the machinery to notch up a standard pulley like that, its a really good idea.
What EMS are you planning on using? If it's something that only requires half a dozen notches, you can get away with using a paper template and angle grinder to cut them - but I wouldn't attempt cutting a 36 or 60 tooth pattern that way  :o

I have a twin spark pulley but it needs to machined to remove the extra pulley groves that won't be used.
Why can't you use it as it is?

Festy are you familiar with engine  position modules at all ¿

I know of them, but haven't used one. You can use an Alfetta electronic distributor for a signal, you just need to lock the advance plate solid. Actually, you could do the same with a points distributor if you were desperate...

There's also plenty of places that sell universal trigger wheels (e.g. https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/sensors-data-logging/trigger-wheels/ or http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d5.html) but you'd need to drill and tap mounting holes into your pulley to use one of those.

Storm_X

festy

Quote from: Storm_X on July 12, 2020, 07:57:12 PM
I sent you a pm festy
I haven't used one of those EMS, but I know a couple of guys who are starting to play with them.
The 60-2 trigger pattern will work fine with that for a wasted spark ignition setup, or you'll need to add a cam sensor to go sequential (I'm running wasted spark ignition on mine). You can use a distributor for the cam sensor if you want to run sequential.

Storm_X

The aem engine position module does both crank and cam sensor in the one unit.

alfahaze

Hi, I have an Alfa 75 TS engine in my garage, and I was thinking along the same lines to keep my 1975 Alfetta GT with its original engine number.   If you would like to mount the CAS sensor in the same place as a TS, let me know and I can take detailed pictures of my TS engine at TDC. I am not sure if this is the same location as that used by the Alfa 75 1.8IE / Alfa Spider S4 motronic set-up though.  Can you confirm festy?

Storm_X