Alfetta GTV - replacing mechanical fuel pump

Started by Dukes426, December 22, 2020, 02:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dukes426

Hi all,
I plan on changing the fuel pump on my 77 GTV (2 litre) in next few days and noticed the new (mechanical) pump comes with two paper gaskets. Both sides of them seem the same.
I assume I need to use both of them together? One of them seems to have some creases in it - is that ok?
Do I need to use any other sort of gasket or sealant when installing the new fuel pump?
Anything else I should be aware of when changing the fuel pump?

Thanks guys!

bonno

Hi Dukes426
You need to use both gaskets one on either side of insulator spacer between the block and pump. No need to apply gasket cement on gaskets. If the crease has resulted in a damaged gasket, then I would replace it. If your lucky it could be rectified by flattening overnight (weight).

Alfetta77

Hi Dukes, I used two of these https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105-series/fuel-and-carburettor/fuel-pump-paper-gasket/. I didn't like the look of the paper gaskets - they seemed too flimsy to cope with heat and oil pressure. Not saying you are wrong Bonno, just the direction I went in. As Bonno also says you'll need one of these too https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105-series/fuel-and-carburettor/fuel-pump-plastic-spacer/. BTW these items are also available from EB Spares, Highwood and probably other retailers.
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

Dukes426

Thanks very much Bonno and Alfetta77!
I was actually looking at the one on the car at the moment and noticed the black spacer.
I'm guessing this probably can't/shouldn't be reused?
Is there a particular torque level I should tighten the bolts to?
Alfetta77 - with the gasket you linked to, it's a different cutout shape to the ones that came with the fuel pump. Does that matter?
Thanks again for your help guys - much appreciated!!!
Best regards
Dave

bonno

Hi Dave
The 2 x nuts are to be torqued up to 20Nm!!
If there is no evidence of any damage to spacer it can be used,  but my advice is to replace it when fitting new pump.   

Alfetta77

Hi Dave, from memory the cut-out was not an exact match but I didn't worry too much about that as there seemed to be plenty of contact around the edge for a good seal. I re-used the plastic spacer as it wasn't cracked or damaged, Bonno think your approach is probably best though. Torque setting from the Haynes manual is 20Nm.
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

Dukes426

Thanks very much guys. Super helpful!
I plan on doing a few jobs on the car over the coming weeks so I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again very very soon! Haha
I will let you guys know how the fuel pump replacement goes.
Alfetta77 - my car is also a silver 1977 GTV. I haven't seen too many silver steel bumper GTVs so nice to know of another.
Thanks again for your help and stay safe all!