Started by NigelC, December 10, 2008, 09:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

NigelC

Cage in!  Will post pics tomorrow of a very neat job done by Rod Kilby (Lochleigh Enterprises) in Hall (ACT) 02 6230 2234.  Car now at the body repairer to get the roof re-skinned so I am rid of that pesky sunroof forever and of course a paint-job (with racing stripe to make the car faster). 

Seats are fitted, have the tyres (RE55s), harnesses, window net etc so my aim is to get it on the track before Christmas and ready to be log-booked by late January after the electricals, exhaust and oil cooler are complete.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

NigelC

Cage pics.

John A Pucak

Looking good Nigel. Hope to see you both down at P.I next March.
(That's a serious looking cage)
John

NigelC

Stripped (almost) ready for painting.  Sunroof gone and roofskin replaced with one from a 'donor' car.  Very little rust in this car, in fact it's quite amazing for a 30 year old car and astonishing for an Alfa from that time.  Keeping original colour (Ivory) and thinking of dark-blue racing stripe (similar colour to original unfaded interior).

Any thoughts on the stripe?

dehne

do it thats why i have two so mine is twice as quick
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Paul Newby

Mmm, I think I am the only punter racing an Alfetta without a racing stripe.

Hasn't stopped me from being quick...  :D

1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

NigelC

Well Paul, I think a stripe is better than the other option ... a big 'S' on the side so people can say; 'Wow, look at that escargot'.

NigelC

The car is just about complete – with a pretty much standard engine at this stage - I just changed the air inlet system to a Pipercross dome filter covering short ram-pipes. 

Will take a pic this weekend when I'm planning on taking a run around Wakefield Park.  All of the interior except electrical cut-off switch is done, Sparco REV seats, Willans Harnesses, window net, fire-extinguisher and all the interior parts I need for Group S have been put back.  The seat-back was the hardest part.  I had to cut a fair amount of metal from the cushion so I could force the whole thing under the harness-bar on the roll cage; I figured once it is in there should never be a reason to take it out again!

The car is very stiff with upgraded suspension and the welded roll-cage but I think it may be a little low in the front – I'll have a better idea when I take it on the track this weekend.

I've fitted Ferodo brake pads and RE55s tyres on Momo Vega wheels which after a few hours gentle abrasion and some metal polish have come up quite well.

The Ivory paint-job looks great and I'll get the stripe painted this month.

Planned work includes the exhaust (I already have the extractors, electrical cut-off) and fitment of an oil-cooler before logbooking with CAMS early this year.  To finish my PCC licence, all I have to do is an OLT and I have no idea where and when I can do that but I'm sure CAMS will help - I took the theory test over Christmas and did it online.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what type of oil cooler I am allowed to fit (Group S), and what type I should fit?

John A Pucak

Hello Nigel, you can try Earls in Silverwater or Pace in Melbourne. As for Cams Group S oil coolers are free

John

NigelC

Thanks John,

Vin Sharp (PACE)  is sending one to my mechanic and I'm getting it fitted next week.  OLT booked for February, just struggling now to find a GP S Historic Scrutineer and an eligibility officer.  There are now none in Canberra, so I'll have to tow my car and trailer to Sydney - hopefully I can get both organised on the same day.

Nigel

John A Pucak

Try and contact Cams first. Our Grp S eligibility officer Greg King has resigned from this position just recently.
Good Luck

John