minor 156 electrical gremlins

Started by poohbah, November 13, 2020, 04:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Anyone have any suggestions re the following two weird faults on my '99 V6 156.

Just had it serviced etc about a month ago, which included replacing the the rear light cluster basket after the "faulty globe" light started coming on intermittently during braking, even though all brake lights were working perfectly. That is no longer a problem.

However, since a few days ago, the faulty globe warning now illuminates as soon as I turn on the headlights. Again I have checked all globes - parking lights, normal beam, high beam, and rear lights - and they are all working fine.

Any suggestions what might cause the warning light to be coming on, while all globes are working?

Second fault is the passenger side rear window has stopped working. Both rear door motors were replaced 4-5 years ago and all other windows are working fine, though up until a week ago the LHS rear window would occasionally stick and refuse to work for a day or two (often if it had been parked in sun for a long period). Generally solved by closing the door a bit harder than polite. When working, both door and driver buttons operated the window without problem.

Unfortunately, vigourously closing the door no longer works, nor does pulling or jiggling the electrical connector from the B Pillar to the door make any difference.

My gut suggests it is something to do with the connection - but blowed if I know where to start. I guess it could also simply be sticking for some reason, but it doesn't appear to make any noise at all when I press either door or drivers button.

all suggestions welcome.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Hi Poohbah
With regards to light bulb warning light coming on, I would check the globe specifically showing early signs of filament failure (blackening of glass).  With respect to rear window, I suspect your window winder motor, rather than your switch/s is faulty (both switches NIL). Suggest to remove door card to perform some electrical checks (power to switch, motor and connector/s).

poohbah

cheers bonno.

if its an early indicator of a bulb filament about to fail, I'll bet it's one of those bloody parking lights - the ones that are a PITA to get to.

Re the window, I will pull the door card off and have a look. The fact that it was an occasional fault only til recently, that would resolve with a bit of a bang, is what made me think maybe its a corroded wire losing connection, particularly when hot (eg after being sitting in sun).

Had a Fiat Regata years ago with an intermittent electrical fault - would just cut out after running for 30-40 mins. Turned out to be a corroded contact in the ignition switch. Once it had fully heated up it would expand and separate, breaking the connection.

1981 GTV

poohbah

Cheers Sportiva - it may be just in need of some lubrication. Previously I've done as you did and moved the glass slightly with my hands, which would be enough for it to work. Will have to get the door card off and have a proper look.
            1981 GTV

Craig_m67

It may also be a faulty brake pedal switch. 

On my 156, the brake light switch reached full extension (it has an auto adjust ratchet built in for pedal height) and the switch would sometimes just come on of its own accord driving over bumps.  This drove the cruise control crazy (disabling itself after five times) and the bulbs intermittently burning out/failing.

I only realised what it was after the cruise control kept dipping out (I couldn't see the rear flashing intermittently when driving)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

poohbah

Cheers Craig - don't think it would be brake pedal switch as it comes on and stays one as soon as I switch on the headlights. When I had an issue with brake lights previously, it would come on only when I pressed the brake pedal.

More likely to be the rear number plate lights (thanks for the reminder Ace) - one of them was a bit dodgy previously but would come back on when I gave the bumper a thump. Completely forgot to check them this time, so that's where my money is at the moment.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Ace was right - one of the rear number plate globes has blown, so that's good. $4.99 - easy fixed.

Now just have to work out what's up with the window.
            1981 GTV