Newbie to alfa 159

Started by OzzyAlfa159ti, October 25, 2020, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzzyAlfa159ti

Hi
Please be gentle first time alfa owner and new forum member.

I just purchased a 2009 159 ti jts 2.2 72klm
I have a few questions if someone kindly could answer.

Firstly when I start the car and drive off the back doors automatically lock but not the front?

2 ,the window lock on the driver's door only locks the rear windows but not the front.

3, the rear view mirror has an auto button I guess for darkening the mirror but have not noticed anything different at day or night?
Also what is the square black box behind the mirror on the left?

4, there is a dome on the dash in the middle close to the windscreen, what is it for?

5,the original stereo had been replaced with an Alpine CDE -W265EBT bluetooth equipped but can't get the steering wheel controls to work and blue and me which I guess is alfas own bluetooth showes up on my phone but can't connect I guess this is because the original stereo has been changed?

6,in the boot there is a red velcro strap just hanging what was meant to be there? And also on some google searches in the boot on the left side near the quarter panel there seems also to be a tool bag?

And finally I only have 1 reverse light that comes on is there meant to be 2?

Sorry if I have asked too many questions
Kind regards
Maria

bonno

Hi Maria
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase of the 159. If you didn't receive the owners manual on purchase, then you can get access to soft copy at the following link. With regards to stereo, I would suggest steering wheel control adaptor not fitted, whilst the other aftermarket accessories then recommend that you search the net (if booklets not supplied). The velcro strap item 6 would have been used to secure pouch for oil container and last point normally 1 reverse light fitted to car.   
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1015548/Alfa-Romeo-159.html?page=3#manual

Colin Edwards

Hi Maria,

Welcome aboard to ownership of one of the most beautifully designed cars of the past 20 years!

Square black box to the left of the mirror houses the rain sensor for the wipers.  Regularly treat / clean this area on the outside of the screen with Rainex - dramatically improves the performance of the sensor.
Dome on the dash near the base of the screen houses the vehicle internal temperature sensor.

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

OzzyAlfa159ti

Hi
Thank you Bonnie and Colin for the very quick and helpful replies .

I noticed also that the oil level indicator on the middle of the dash on Sunday morning read full bars then after driving for a few hours when I got home and turn the car off and straight away re inserted the key it read 2 bars lower? Surely can't have used that much oil. I know the car prior to purchase as the owner had bought the car brand new and really took care and hardly drove it in the 11 years of owneship

Kind regards Maria

bazzbazz

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the World of Alfa.

NEVER rely on the dash bar graph!

Always check the oil using the dipstick, in the morning when engine is cold is best.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bonno

Hi Maria
To get a consistent reading, I would have the oil level reading when engine is cold, ie; prior to starting - only turn key to the ON position. This way the oil has settled and drained within the oil galleries inside the engine. 

bazzbazz

Ok, I'll try this one more time -

Quote from: bazzbazz on October 26, 2020, 08:51:13 PM

NEVER rely on the dash bar graph! (In the 159 they are inaccurate and have a tendency to fail!)

Always check the oil using the dipstick, in the morning when engine is cold is best.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bonno

Apologies. Bazz is absolutely correct.

OzzyAlfa159ti

Hi guys

Thank you very much for clarifying the oil level situation.

Is there somewhere online that I can see part numbers as I need a few clips and it's missing a cigarette lighter .

Also I read online owners manual that bonno kindly shared and it's conflicting with some of the answers I got from you guys.

1 it states that that the black box to the left of the mirror is in fact a window mister sensor and not a wiper sensor , the rain / wiper sensor is at the back of the mirror right in the middle.

Kind regards Maria

OzzyAlfa159ti

Also is there a way to open the boot from the inside of the car instead of using the remote like on the dash somewhere?

Kind regards Maria

bonno

Hi Maria

Boot Release
With the key in, ignition on, engine not running/vehicle stationary.

Scroll through the menu using buttons on the headlight/indicator stalk. The setting is 'Indep. Boot'

On = ONLY the key can be used to unlock.
Off = Roof console & key can be used to unlock
Also your remote key to start the engine also has remote boot release button  but is only useful when your out of car and key in hand.

Find attached link to IPB for Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS.
https://alfa-romeo.7zap.com/en/159/x9/140bb4151230-099/707/

bonno

Further to my previous post, I have located direct link item 5 for the cigarette lighter.
https://alfa-romeo.7zap.com/en/159/x9/140bb4151230-099/705/4+70504s01+7-0/

OzzyAlfa159ti

Thank you again bonno very helpful

OzzyAlfa159ti

I'm in Sydney, is there any place that sells new alfa parts.

Kind regards Maria

bazzbazz

Try the following -

Arese Spares (Sydney) 0405 434 663

Italian Automotive Spares (Melb) 03 9036 1606

They both do fast mail service delivery.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast