New to Australia & Queensland, Looking for an Alfa

Started by Dom Nicosia, December 08, 2008, 08:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom Nicosia

G'day Guys,
                  Im new to the forum and new to Australia, I have recently moved to North Queensland, form the UK.
I have owned a couple of Alfa 155's back in the UK. My last Car was actually a Fiat Bravo, 1.9 JTD.

I have inherited my passion for Italian cars from my dad, who used to work for an Alfa Romeo Dealrship back home, as Technician, he also had a few alfa's in his time, The last one being an old 1984 Alfa Romeo Guelieta, My uncle has also had a few Alfa's 2 164's and currently has a 156 2.5 V6 Selespeed. So It is very much a family thing.

I am currently looking out for an Alfa 156, either a 2.0l 16v or 2.5 V6. Prefrebly a full manual, but would certainly consider a Selespeed.
If anyone is aware of any for sale in North Queensland, or even around Brisbane Please drop me a line.

Best Regards

Dom

hammer

Hey Dom,

What part of NQ are you in. You've got some heavy rain up there at present.

Club members and keen racers Angus Saunders and Rob Robson are based in Mackay.

Cheers,

Brent

Dom Nicosia

Hi there,
               I am right up in Cairns, We had a passing storm in the night, but today is hot and humid!!!! Taking it out of me to be honest, as I only moved from the UK less than 3 months ago. It is great to see a thriving Alfa enthusiast community out here.

Hoping to get myself a 156 in the couple of months or so.

Regards

Dom

hammer

Dom,

Yeah, you'd sure know about the humidity in Cairns. I'm off to Townsville on Thursday and am expecting some thick air when I disembark.

AROCA member John Ryan lives in Cairns. He recently sold his race car though, as the commute to Brisbane to race was getting the better of him.

Good luck in the 156 hunt. I bought a 2005 156 TI earlier this year. It's a good little machine.

Cheers,

Brent

madram

Well, I might be biased but any Alfa is a good choice!

However, that said, when I was considering purchasing a 156, my mechanic threatened to do horrible things to me if I bought a Selespeed. While he is making tidy profits from replacing failed Selespeeds, he has got enough money from me over the years not to want to see me bankrupted over one of those!

He has experienced no unusual problems with his customers' manual and auto 156s (apart from normal wear-and-tear), but nothing but problems with the Selespeeds. Of course you can be lucky and get a good Selespeed, but if the car is more than 6 or 7 years old, you may want to have a spare $4-6K in the bank just in case...
Madram [AROCA-Qld Webmaster]

Current: 1972 2L Spider Veloce
Former: 1988 Alfa 75 2.5L Auto (x2)
            1987 Alfa 33 1.5L Super
            1978 Alfasud Ti