Is there such a thing as an exchange cylinder head? 147 JTDm

Started by spoynter, October 19, 2020, 04:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoynter

Although my 147 (CF4 JTDm) performs well and hasn't let me down, I suspect it ingested one of its swirl flaps a little while ago. I performed a compression test over the weekend, and sure enough, #3 is significantly down on compression (readings were 450, 440, 240, 430 psi). I'm actually surprised it runs so well, the only real symptom is uneven turnover on startup.

I will pull the head soon to confirm, but I suspect the swirl flap has entered the cylinder and bent the valves. I am hoping there is minimal bore/piston damage. While I could potentially source parts for mine and rebuild (and have it skimmed if the head is damaged), I would prefer to swap it out with a rebuilt one.

I may be wildly optimistic here, but does anyone know of an Australian source of exchange cylinder heads for the 1.9L 16V CF4 diesel engine? Autolusso appear to do this in the UK, but the freight cost is uneconomical.

spoynter

A quick update - I reached out to local networks, and the turnaround time and cost estimate to sort this out here has made it more economical to import a fresh head from the UK. Not the outcome I had planned, but should get the issue solved promptly!

bonno

Hi Spoynter
Had an Astra 1.8L 16 valve head reconditioned a little while back, which involved all replacement valves (16),  testing, machined and VRS service kit, totalled around  $1K.

spoynter

Thanks Bonno  :)
As an update to this, I got the job done in just under 3 days, and am very happy with the results. Sure enough, swirl flap #3 was nowhere to be seen, and it had made a mess of the head and piston crown as it broke up.

As you suggest, the Z19DTH engine in the diesel astras are the same as the CF3 alfa head, and that is what I used in my car. I think I coughed up $700 including delivery from the UK. Of course, this means I have a spare CF4 head with bent valves and needing a skim sitting under my bench if anyone needs one in future!