159 Head unit /sound /Bluetooth upgrade

Started by Micheloaks, September 25, 2020, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micheloaks

I've been looking around at various threads

My newly purchased 09 159 wagon despite steering wheel functionality for phone has no means to allow connection and of course the existing unit is non mp3 and no streaming etc

Before I go down the aftermarket Solution for touchscreen /reverse camera /Apple CarPlay etc Has anyone ever installed a system from a later
Alfa  with said functionality to a 159? 

cheers

SimplePeter

Hi Michael,

I've looked into this myself, and everything OEM from 159 or later, is far more costly than an aftermarket solution.
I wanted something the would intergrade well into the centre console. There are some android head units made specifically for the 159 (which is not a standard double DIN)

If I get around to ordering one on the slow boat, I'll post the results!

Peter.

afelice001

I did a lot of research on this and I've gone down both routes before. Here are some thoughts on each:

1) Generic Android (had this installed in an E53 BMW). I purchased a high spec one from Aliexpress with built in carplay.
The good: The screen was amazing, the interface was quick and it was easy to navigate.
The bad: Sound quality was just okay. Carplay often took 15-20 seconds to start working after plugging the phone in. The "cold start" boot could take up to 15-20 seconds. They usually come with a steering wheel connector box (canbus box). Mine didn't work, no matter what the vendor and I did to try and fix it (software updates, etc). Occasionally I'd experience issues like no sound or apps crashing which required a reboot.

2) Alpine ilx-W650E (in the 159).
The good: Sound quality is excellent. The interface is simple. Bluetooth and carplay connect almost immediately. No bugs or glitches. Everything works as it should, steering controls, reverse camera, etc.
The bad: Doesn't look as 'flash' as the generic Android unit and the interface can't be customised at all. It's more expensive - $200+ AUD depending on the model.

Overall, having gone down both routes, I'll definitely pay extra for a reputable brand in future.

Alfa-mad

Hi all, I went through with a installing an aftermarket head unit awhile back and it worked out fine, the head unit is Android 10 with 7" screen, even the bezel icons are the same red colour as the stock interior icons.

Note that some options like DAB+, reverse cam and TPMS need you to purchase extra bits but they don't cost that much if you want them.

One of the really good things about these is that you DON'T need to get an extra CANBUS adapter or any nonsense like that, its plug'n'play and the steering wheel controls work automatically.

The unit itself was around $380 which is a steal, you can get it here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-Android-10-GPS-Car-Stereo-Radio-Bluetooth-Head-Unit-for-Alfa-Romeo-159-Spider/254622461019?hash=item3b48ae6c5b:g:Qm8AAOSweWde4eSH

And I've attached a pic of mine installed for reference.

kaleuclint

Interesting...  So this is genuinely plug and play??

I've never bothered to change the head unit, mainly due to loss of the steering wheel controls.  If this is fully compatible (though I'd want DAB+) might switch to this.  Certainly seems a bargain, and not like the OEM Blaupunkt is a quality item.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

As the day goes

Quote from: kaleuclint on November 09, 2020, 05:29:54 PM
Interesting...  So this is genuinely plug and play??

I've never bothered to change the head unit, mainly due to loss of the steering wheel controls.  If this is fully compatible (though I'd want DAB+) might switch to this.  Certainly seems a bargain, and not like the OEM Blaupunkt is a quality item.

I was excited!

So researched in alfaowner on Xtron units.  Frankly hit and miss regarding quality of sound quality, interference, reliability.  But recent units may have improved. Also it seems that it as it only has a (fake?) 10 band equaliser and not a 15 band one, it is not up=to=date with the newer DSP chips.

So now disappointed. 

Alfa-mad

Quote from: Australia on November 11, 2020, 06:01:52 AM
I was excited!

So researched in alfaowner on Xtron units.  Frankly hit and miss regarding quality of sound quality, interference, reliability.  But recent units may have improved. Also it seems that it as it only has a (fake?) 10 band equaliser and not a 15 band one, it is not up=to=date with the newer DSP chips.

So now disappointed.

I actually can't comment on that aspect as I didn't care too much about those things, I just wanted a touchscreen with the basics like nav and music (spotify) so I'm set.

Having said that, the sound quality seems totally fine, produces good bass and midrange.

Its not a big investment at the end of the day, only around $400 so might be worth getting one anyway.

As the day goes

Alfa-mad

Quote from: Australia on November 28, 2020, 10:43:19 AM
Did you get stung for GST on import?

Just the standard 10% everyone pays. Up until around mid 2018, there was no GST on imports if they were valued less than $1000 but that has changed, GST on everything now.

jezzathep

Quote from: Alfa-mad on November 03, 2020, 03:26:34 PM
Hi all, I went through with a installing an aftermarket head unit awhile back and it worked out fine, the head unit is Android 10 with 7" screen, even the bezel icons are the same red colour as the stock interior icons.

So I just ordered that Xtrons android head unit for the 159 I don't actually have yet (which will arrive first!?)

I was wondering, how did you remove the original stereo? I've seen vids of these special U shaped tools to remove it?

As the day goes

Alfa-mad

Quote from: jezzathep on December 07, 2020, 08:44:38 PM

So I just ordered that Xtrons android head unit for the 159 I don't actually have yet (which will arrive first!?)

I was wondering, how did you remove the original stereo? I've seen vids of these special U shaped tools to remove it?

Yeah you can stuff around buying some special prongs or just make some yourself out of a wire coat hanger ;)

See attached pic, you just need some side cutters to cut the wire and ideally needle nose pliers to accurately bend the wire into shape.

soakk

Note that some options like DAB+, reverse cam and TPMS need you to purchase extra bits but they don't cost that much if you want them.

One of the really good things about these is that you DON'T need to get an extra CANBUS adapter or any nonsense like that, its plug'n'play and the steering wheel controls work automatically.

The unit itself was around $380 which is a steal, you can get it here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-Android-10-GPS-Car-Stereo-Radio-Bluetooth-Head-Unit-for-Alfa-Romeo-159-Spider/254622461019?hash=item3b48ae6c5b:g:Qm8AAOSweWde4eSH

And I've attached a pic of mine installed for reference.

That looks amazing. I'm keen to do something like this for my 159.

Perhaps a silly question. Where is the USB port? My 07' 159ti doesnt have native USB connectivity (AFAIK). I assumed these head units would have a USB-A connector on them, but I dont see one in the picture you posted.
RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6

bazzbazz

The USB port is usually located in the glove box.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

soakk

RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6