Gear Lever Play

Started by fazersix, September 21, 2020, 10:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fazersix

Hi,  after replacing the engine mounts on my81 2.0l GTV, if I push the leave to the max left for the 1st & 2nd channel the gear linkage rod just touches the prop shaft! I can shift ok without going all the way left! The left engine mount was in knackered so much that the metal had snapped just below where it bolts to the block - it was pretty hard to see because of the heat shield!
New mounts sourced from EB spares appears to have raised the engine maybe 10mm!
So what controls the left to right play? I checked the bush at the end if the lever and the linkage which appears fine?
So thinking there is something else warn or an adjustment!!
Cheers

bonno

Find attached extract of the Haynes workshop manual on the subject. My guess is that any adjustment is the elongated hole @ ref # 3.

fazersix

Cheers bonno I will take a look

fazersix

So taking the shifter out was easier than I thought. There was a lot of play between the bolt and the bush so I drilled the bush and linkage  holes to 8mm  inserted a new bolt a used a thin copper washer to take up the slack.If the copper washer wears it will be easy to replace on the car!
After reading loads of threads on this forum and others I knocked the ball up the gear leaver by approx 10mm to refuce the throw. Fresh grease in the shifter assembly and a massive improvement. Slop has gone and the linkage no longer touches the drive shaft donut

bonno

To have maintained the longevity of the swivel joint, I would have thought replacing the worn bush (bronze/nylon) would have been the way to go.

fazersix

I would have but with lock down Melbourne my options were limited so this quick fix will do and I will revisit it later on.
Cheers