no stranger to Alfas, but new to this forum.

Started by redalfaracing, December 06, 2008, 11:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redalfaracing

I have been playing with Alfa's for about 7 years now. Started with a "79 Alfetta. Rusty old thing, my son Jamey and i used it for motorkhanas and autocross/ hillclimbs. Drove it for 2 years in standard class, no mods and road tyres. did ok, got some plastic trophies, won 1st standard class in the victorian autocross super series both years. decided to go rallying... what a blast. You may not drive your Alfas off the black top but let me tell you, when set up properly they sure hold their own. Fitted v6 torsion bars, removed every thing that wasn't required and lightened everything else. 75 discs calipers wheels, konis, twin spark 1st 2,875:1 and 2nd 1.72:1, standard 3rd 1.35:1, 1.13:1 4th and a .946:1 5th with a 75 platinium lsd with 2 extra plates and a 4.3 final drive from a 1.8 75 and i have a weapon. weighs 1020 kgs ready to rally, 4th outright 1st rally, 1st under 2 litre and 1st novice 1st season, and that was with a bog standard engine( 10548 cams though)
Now i own 8 Alfas in various stages of decomposition. Still have the '79 Alfetta (but it is having a rebuild)
That leads me to why i joined this forum. I am building a GTV6 rally car. Figure it will probably go ok. Greg Carr won the Australian Rally Championship with a 2.5 GTV6 in 1987, but i am going to slot a 12 v 3.0 litre in mine. i have a '77 shell ready to cage and all the bits to bolt in, planning to have it ready to run in about June, do a couple of shake down rallies and get fair dinkum in the Alpine rally in December .
I ran into a couple of AROC club members at a CAMS shindig last month and they suggested that i join this forum ( and AROC, which i will do). I am currently a member of Pakenham Auto Club and have my Alfetta CH plated through them. Maybe someone could get me some info on AROC ( joining procedure and meeting details).
If anyone needs any bits for 116's, i have a lot and would be happy to help you out.
Looking forward to chatting with you guys
Here are a couple of pics of the Alfetta in action,
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Paul Gulliver

Those photo's are going to get Matt Francis all misty eyed
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Barry Edmunds

Greg
The next club meeting is this coming Wednesday (Dec 10) at Bell's Hotel, cnr Moray & Coventry Streets South Melbourne. Meeting starts around 8pm. Quite a few member get there early for a meal. This is our last meeting for the year and is a little more casual than usual.

Look forward to seeing you there and hearing more of your Alfetta projects. There will be a few others interested in your project.

Barry

Sheldon McIntosh

The Greg Carr car is currently owned by a club member and is being restored to it's original spec and livery.  Might be a good inspiration for your project.

Mat Francis

Just got back from holiday- what a site to return to. A nice thread to read before i vent my frustration into another...
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

Barry, Thanks for the info, i will try and get there on Wednesday. I have been to Bells Hotel before, to a CCRMIT Meeting i think, won a trophy from one of their rallys, Think it was the George Derrick in Avoca. Got a good ppicture from that event.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

alfagtv58

Hi Greg,

It was good to meet you at the CAMS function.  I love that last photo.....especially the look in the eyes of the Navigator (or 'ballast' as I believe they are know in rally circles!!)

Just out of curiosity, with that list of mods it would have to be a PRC car (I think i remember you telling me that anyway).  What would your thoughts be on the advantages of running in PRC V's building it to meet HRA specs?

Cheers,
Phil.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

Welcome Greg - not enough on rally Alfa's, particularly the GTV Alfetta's in the 70's - love the pics of these cars in the Evan Green books.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

redalfaracing

Phil, i built a prc over a historic mainly because i wanted to be able to stop when i wanted to. Pre 1986 PRC affords me so many more mods including being able to upgrade the front brakes. The unvented discs may be ok for the road, but after 200+ k's competitive up and down mountains i want the pedal to feel the same as when i started. i am running 90 discs with rb74 pads and they have never let me down. Also i have completly removed all the trim except dash ,mainly as a safety issue. the less there is to burn inside the car the happier i am. 2 kg of dry powder doesn't really put much out!
If you are into seeing eyes, here are some pics from the '05 Yakkerboo that tell a real story.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Hey sorry guys i didn't get to the meeting, finnished work too late to make it with all sanity intact. Work for myself doing split systems, and i never know just how every job will pan out. Can someone tell me how to go about joining up AROC please. Can i do it by mail? Thanks.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Barry Edmunds

You can join the club by mail. Contact Membership Sec Anthony Sharp direct or head down to Phillip Island on Sunday for the Club sprint meeting.

If you can't make it to PI then come along to the Club BBQ, Jan 14. Bank of Yarra River near the Morell Street Bridge. Just keep an eye out for the Alfa banner and gathering of club members by the BBQ unit

Barry

redalfaracing

Thanks Barry, I have sent a PM to A Sharp with some details. See you at the BBQ. Try to get the Alfetta back on the road by then, Take it for an outing.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

As a rally man, this i find to be a bit devestating, and i reckon that a few of you will find it shattering too. Suraru have pulled out of wrc for 2009  citing the global downturn in sales.
We may find that motorsport changes a lot in the coming years. At least we still have grassroots motor sport to fall back on.   Read more http://tinyurl.com/6bdh88
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

alfagtv58

that is unbelievable :o

first Honda in F1 and Subaru in WRC......damn accountants!!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Barry Edmunds

Phil
Not sure if we can blame the accountants and while they make the decisions about companies involvement in motor sport we might have to go back further to the investors and speculators and the greed factor of certain people on Wall Street.

Barry