Author Topic: GTV6-Restomod  (Read 9405 times)

gtvsix86

Re: GTV6-Restomod
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 10:25:44 AM »
Justin looking forward to reading your story and the provenience of your car and your Dad as well.
Victor the black grill is original not a GP with the side fins filled in.
Sportiva you have two 3l's lucky man and yes I would choose it as well over other cars for a weekend blast as nothing beats the feeling   

gtvsix86

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 08:30:04 AM »
I also heard Vince has had health troubles I really hope his doing good! So I sent my car to Northern Alfa which was on the complete other side of Melbourne to me and made it impossible to go down a check on the car during its progress. This would normally make me feel nervous. But Vince is one of the guys that you pick your car up and would call you over the weekend to see how the car was behaving. Vince was just as excited as me I think he enjoyed the challenge of doing something different.

Vince organised to get my performance headers ceramic coated, fly wheel lightened and he surprised me with getting all my bolts gold plated. A new set of belts and water pump and I ordered some Colombo Bariani fast road Cams for the UK. He would send me progress pictures but my most favourite was the video he sent me when the fired it up for the first time.

Again we are so fortunate to have such wonderful people in Alfa Community that work on our cars and after viewing Vince's work he is right up there with the best of them. The car had completely transformed I couldn't be happier with the performance and I especially loved the sound of the Cam. If only Alfa had of used this motor in the GTV6 from the beginning what a shame. Next on the agenda was to save my pennies for a twin spark box and upgrading of the brakes.   

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:23:16 AM by gtvsix86 »

gtvsix86

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 11:27:19 AM »
I didn't have money to splash around so I my aim was to do things slowly one small upgrade a year if I could. So I hunted around for a twin spark box and I met another top bloke who we are so lucky to have in the Alfa community and that was Vin Sharp. I commissioned him to build me a custom box. Fully rebuilt with lightened gears and the quicker ratio with 2nd and 3rd gear ratios nice and close from an Alfetta I think, plus from memory 50% lock. Also some knuckle raisers.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:26:38 AM by gtvsix86 »

gtvsix86

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 08:59:26 AM »
2015 was a year that hurts so deeply that is why it has taking me so long to add this next journey. My Dad the man who I inherited the love of this car was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer and was told he would have approx. 6 months to live. I had Vin's goodies fitted by Northern Alfa again and took my Dad for a drive to cheer him up but it just wasn't the same. It felt like a dark cloud was over me and just lost interest with most things in my life. I spent every spare moment of my time with my Dad and had no time for the car and again later in the year put the car up for sale. I had a few nibbles but nothing serious and I was starting to come to terms with my Dad's fate and I couldn't sell the car now not ever.
So I started to plan my next chapter and that was cosmetic. I spoke to my old Mechanic Lou from Keysborough for any recommendations and he told me one his clients got his car sprayed by Paul at Rankins and he said his the best in the game.     

gtvsix86

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2020, 11:57:10 AM »
Spoiler alert if you cannot wait for me to finish my story and want a sneak preview of my car check out Monza Motors Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/alfparepairs

gtvsix86

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
Late 2015 I made my way over to Bayswater to meet Paul. Wow what a nice a guy and his knowledge of my model was off the charts. He ran a magnet over the car inspecting every nook and cranny to the point where he knew if I had the correct screws fitted to my mirrors. Paul instilled so much confidence in me that he was the right guy for the job with his vast knowledge of Alfa's that it took me no time to give him the job. However with Paul being so good you have to get in line so I queued up and waited until early 2016 for the master to work his magic.   

gtvsix86

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2020, 09:49:51 AM »
I wanted the car fixed of any imperfections and I wanted the engine bay sorted from previous damage. So this meant engine out again unfortunately. Here are some early pictures from the beginning     

gtvsix86

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2020, 08:21:29 AM »
My Father and I made it our Saturday ritual to visit my car and see the progress. I really enjoyed the conversations we had up and down Eastlink and the time we spent together and I will hold onto those memories forever. Here is one of my favourite pictures of my Father gazing into my engine bay I think he somehow knew something special was going to happen in there. Unfortunately my Fathers health started to worsen and we had other priorities and money become tight as I tried to assist my parents as much as I could and Paul being the gentlemen that he is put my car on hold until things stabilized. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 08:26:33 AM by gtvsix86 »

gtvsix86

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2020, 08:27:05 AM »
sorry about the pictures appearing upside down not sure what is happening there?

bazzbazz

• AROCA Member #: 870
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
It's ok, when you click on them to enlarge they come up the tight way.

"To err is human, to REALLY screw things up you need a computer!" - Murphys Law of Computing
2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

gtvsix86

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 07:58:42 AM »
My Dads health never recovered and he was just hanging in there. So we got the car back rolling again and this was a welcome distraction to the chaos in my life and I still bought Dad along to check the progress which he really enjoyed and Paul always made he feel comfortable. I mentioned to Paul about my wish list and that I would possibly like to make some more engine mods. This is where things start getting interesting... Paul told me to have a think about installing a quad cam 3.2 gta motor and he knew a guy who could help. We also got a new headliner and my interior refreashed by Cel at  Design Auto Interiors.   

gtvsix86

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2020, 08:05:10 AM »
more pics

gtvsix86

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2020, 06:37:13 AM »
The GTA motor was like a drug pulling me in so I met up with Claude to see what he could do for me. What a nice guy! he offered me so much advice and was willing to help through the whole process. After seeing his car I knew if I wanted to take my car to the next level this was the way to go. So I hunted around the internet to find a GTA motor and found a winner. This was late November 2017 and my world was crushing down. My Father was in real bad shape and we were told he had at best 2 months to live. So I put the motor on the back burner and spent as much time as I could with my Father and also help my Mother organise his final arrangements. My Father was only 58 I thought we would have so much more time together but it wasn't to be. Just before he passed away in Early January of 2018 I picked up the motor and told him what I had planned to do however with his brain tumour he struggled to talk and understand things but I could see it in his eyes and he was happy that I was happy. 

gtvsix86

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2020, 07:06:50 AM »
The Car was now painted and Paul just finished painting the engine bay. He asked if I was going to do the GTA conversion and I was in two minds. I thought I might wait and do it some stage later down the track but Paul informed me I was at a point of no return and now would be the best time to avoid double handling costs down the track. So it was decided to do it now or never. Here are some pics of the painted car and engine bay 

gtvsix86

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2020, 07:08:23 AM »
Engine Bay