Author Topic: GTV6-Restomod  (Read 9404 times)

sportiva

Re: GTV6-Restomod
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 05:48:53 PM »
I bought an Alfasud as a parts car that had a misfire, thinking a tune up will fix things  I cleaned the points and the dizzy cap and after cleaning the plugs I started the car. The misfire was still there so I gave the engine a good rev and #3 conrod burst out of the top of block, the piston  and connecting rod had lodged half way up the bore when I gave it a rev the little 1186cc engine threw a leg out of bed as they say.
3.0 GTV6 Fiat Free
156JTS

ex
75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted
156 sele

bazzbazz

• AROCA Member #: 870
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 06:54:42 PM »
Well, at least you solved the misfire issue . . . .   ;D
2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

sportiva

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »
The same car had a rear brake disc on one wheel that had run out of brake pad and had machined down and seperated the disk from the hub.

3.0 GTV6 Fiat Free
156JTS

ex
75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted
156 sele

bazzbazz

• AROCA Member #: 870
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »
Just adds to the character;)
2004 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Sportwagon (Patty)

GTV6FLETCH

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 10:53:16 PM »
Will be following along with interest as I am doing much the same at the moment with my GP that has sat for 10 odd years.
Just put in 6 x new injectors and had it run for the 1st time in years.
Next is a new timing belt and water pump.
A bit more for me to do now to get her back on the road again.
Funny how many of us have a similar story re : had Italian cars as teens , meet wife , get married , have children , buy house , have no time or money for our alfas , then get to relive these beautiful cars over again.
Now
81-GTV-2.5L
86-GTV6-GP
13-MITO (WIFEY'S)
74-ALFETTA SEDAN 1.8
Gone
multiple GTV 2L

sportiva

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 06:54:31 PM »
Your lucky you did not sell the car 10 yrs ago, because you would have to pay 5 or 10 times what you sold it for to get it back now.
3.0 GTV6 Fiat Free
156JTS

ex
75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted
156 sele

gtvsix86

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »
At this stage I knew I needed some help so I joined the forum and cannot thank the members here enough for their advice and help. I don't know if is just me but I think the amount of traffic on the forum has dropped off over the years in the 116 category and would like to thank Bonno, Sportiva, Bazzbazz and a few others who always have good content and help for us of late.

Back to my story I was running out of time before my rego expired so I ordered a new middle section and rear from the UK and went with the CSC tail section. I checked with some local suppliers and was struggling to find a good set of second hand Carello headlights. Whilst researching I realised that 2 of my cracked Headlights were the 2 inner lights which are non directional and you could still buy brand new from the UK. So I ordered them with the exhaust and found the best second hand RHD outer headlight from the local wreckers in Melbourne.     

As I mentioned earlier this was all new to me and couldn't believe how fast the shipping was from memory it was 3-4 days and the parts were at my front door.

So after all the mechanical work and four new tyres my car was ready and passed the RWC. Unfortunately it was approx.. $8000 exercise but was it worth it? Gee I hoped so. This time my drive home wasn't one of disappointment but one of pure adulation one for the mechanic who lavished his love of his car on this and two how well it drove and sounded. I had a winner here  ;D   

sportiva

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »
To quote the chief of CONTROL "Good work 86" :D

Enjoy you GTV6 they are fantastic cars once they are sorted and maintained I have used mine as a daily driver for 25yrs things have worn out and I have replaced panels after accident damage and repaired synchros but I have never had to have it towed home. And I get comments on my car all the time from kids who have seen the car in computer games and others who say "I used to have one of those" also people take photos one guy followed me with his phone getting video.
And you are right about the declining posts in the 116 section it's sad

Enjoy
3.0 GTV6 Fiat Free
156JTS

ex
75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted
156 sele

Anth73

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
Enjoying the thread immensely whilst I am also doing a little bit of a resto-mode renovation myself.

Agree that online forum traffic in geneeral, not just this one, seems to be declining. There are plenty of Alfa Romeo facebook groups for instance but they are all a snapshot in time view only whereas these forums provide an ongoing treasure trove of knowledge and great people.

One area that could help this forum is to make it easier to post higher quality, larger images. Given the significant reduction in online storage costs the 1024KB limit per post seems a little "Commodore 64" era for me.

sportiva

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »
I agree the forums are an archive or a reserve off collective knowledge that can be researched decades later. Lets hope faceache doesn't erode them down to a point that they can't return from and we lose that knowledge forever 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:26:56 PM by sportiva »
3.0 GTV6 Fiat Free
156JTS

ex
75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted
156 sele

gtvsix86

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:31 AM »
After enjoying the car for a little while my one issue that haunted me was with driving the car in today compared to when I first had the car some 15 years ago was that it seemed so slow off the mark. You really had to work the car to get it up and going. From memory it would do 0-100 in 8 odd seconds similar to what a small Toyota Yaris would probably do today. It wasn't like a wanted to drag race the car but just thought it needed a bit more zip to bring it some life I think we had been spoilt with todays technology and how zippy modern cars are. So Here the story of my Restomod begins.

I came across an add in the for sale section here on the forum for a 3l engine out of a 75 with low kms. I knew from past experience that it was straight fit like for like so I knew I had to have it, now just had to convince the wife. I negotiated a deal for the motor and also the power steering rack which he had. It came from regional Victoria and he was nice enough to deliver to me personally in Melbourne on the back of his trailer. Such a nice bloke who gave me so much advise about what to expect and where to get it installed if I needed help.

A few years had passed and I was itching to get installed and I fell ill with Pneumonia. After a short stint in hospital I briefly considered selling the car as I realised I had more priorities but I couldn't find it in my heart to let it go. I then contacted my Mechanic Lou about doing the transplant and it was on. Unfortunately Lou being a one man operator keep pushing my job back and back. So I took a risk and took the advice off the gentlemen who I bought the motor off and sent my car to his mechanic. And I met again another fantastic mechanic who is also just and all-round top bloke Vince Sartor. 

Anth73

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 07:30:17 PM »
Iím with you on the performance of the GTV6 compared to even mainstream small hatchbacks today. From road tests back in the day the GTV6 would accelerate to 100kmh in the high 8ís to mid 9ís and cover the 400m dash in mid to high 16ís. The slow 1-2 change doesnít help either.

My GTV currently runs a twin spark from a 75 and 4.1 LSD which is really close in performance to the V6. But it feels pretty slow compared to my standard VW Golf that has the same claimed power, more torque, 7-speed DSG but more weight. Hence my motivation for a warmed 3L conversion.

A good mate of mine with a GTV6 also has had all his mechanical work done by Vince and had nothing but good feedback. Vince has also had some health troubles of late, I hope heís on the mend.

sportiva

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 09:36:38 PM »
I have two 3.0 ltr cars a GTV6 5 speed manuel and a subaru 3.0R  flat six 5 speed auto.
The Subaru will trounce my GTV6 in a standing start race and will leave it for dead all the way to it's top speed because it has a modern multi gizmo engine. And if I want a weekend driving experience I will always take the GTV6.
3.0 GTV6 Fiat Free
156JTS

ex
75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted
156 sele

Victor Lee

• AROCA Member #: 944
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 06:44:01 PM »
Another great ongoing GTV6 resto!  Look forward to reading more about it!

Question on the black grill that the car came with:  Is it a Grand Prix grill?

Cheers,

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

LALFA

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 08:46:26 AM »
Looking forward to reading the rest of your journey, Iím going to have to dig up all the old pics and start a thread as well. Wonít be as well written as this one as this one though. Was every class I used to look up gtvs or have a auto Italia magazine in the middle of a text book.