Flushing cooling system

Started by Dukes426, December 23, 2020, 10:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dukes426

Hi all,
I have been slowly chipping away at my GTV and one of the other things I would like to do is flush the cooling system. I have removed the radiator that was leaking and crap and have sourced another original one that has been pressure tested and checked and ready to go in.
Before I do this though, I would like to flush the block. I already have a new water pump in it.
Is it just a matter of sticking a hose in where the thermostat goes and letting the water flow out of the water pump (that hasn't got hoses connected yet)? Is there something else on the exhaust side of the block that needs to be undone to let the water flow out of?
Thanks again for all your help guys.
Regards
Dave

GTVeloce

There's a bolt behind the exhaust manifold near cylinder 4. I'd flush from the front and drain via the rear.

Dukes426

Thanks GTVeloce.
So in from where the thermostat is and the water will flow out from the bolt you mentioned? Will water also come out from the water pump?
Have been wanting to do this for ages!
I also bought some penrite demineralised water (for when it's all been flushed properly) and penrite radiator flush to put through the system but wanted to do a flush with the hose first before reinstalling radiator etc.
I was also thinking of getting one of those TEFBA filters that go on the top radiator hose - what does everyone think of them?
Thanks again for your help - much appreciated!

Dukes426

Thanks Sportiva.
The car isn't running at the moment as it's getting work done on it and it has the thermostat removed (I have it blocked up with a rag at the moment and a new thermostat ready to go in) and no radiator.
When you say both directions, what do you mean? I was thinking putting the hose in where the thermostat goes and flushing the block that way. What other way do you mean?
Sorry for my amateur questions - I'm really keen to learn.
Thank you again for your tips and advice - really appreciate it.

Dukes426

Got it!!
Thanks for that - will give it a go on the weekend.