Historic Group S - Alfa Group S Challenge - Get Involved!

Started by Scott Farquharson, July 18, 2006, 10:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Farquharson

The following provides a short intro to Group S.  There is more detail in the Group S section of the Web site. 

If you have wanted to go racing but haven't had the budget or didn't think there was a category to race your trusty Alfetta GTV or 105 Coupe well Group S could be the answer!!

What is Historic Group S?

Historic Group S is a low cost way of being involved in one of the fastest and most exciting forms of motorsport – Historic Racing.

Group S is one of the fastest growing categories of historic motor racing in Australia, with spectacular grids running up to 45 cars.   Based on mildly modified production sports cars, Group S is designed to provide a forum for competitors to race cars from the '50s, '60s and '70s in a form similar to period club racing. 
And like Group N (Historic Touring Cars) new cars can be built.   That is, cars do not have to have a racing history from the period as is required for all other classes of Historic Racing (Group C Touring cars for example).

The cutoff is 1977 meaning the all 105 Coupe's and the Alfetta GT and GTV 2.0L are eligible and importantly all run on model years, meaning that any steel bumpered Alfetta GTV 2.0L built after 1977 (thru to 1981) are also eligible!

At the recent Phillip Island Classic there were five Alfa's competing in the Under 2 L Class with an Alfetta GTV posting the fastest time in the class in qualifying and running in second place over the weekend.  Lap times ranged from 2:02 to 2:11 for the Alfa's, the first one home 18th outright in a field of 44 cars.  The outright cars lap in around 1:56/57 – not that far in front of the Alfa's.

As the name suggests the class is for Production Sports Cars meaning that the cars are showroom standard with minimal modification (similar to our Super Modified Class). The major modifications allowed are:

• Tyres must be from the Production Tyre list and must be 60% profile.
  • Engine Internals are free, carby size is free, exhaust is free.
  • Shocks and springs/torsion/sway bars are free.

The complete rules are contained in the 5th Category/Group Sc section of the CAMS manual.

Cars must adhere to all the normal racing safety reg's including fire extinguisher, roll cage, cutoff switch etc.  You also need at minimum a Provisional Circuit Racing Licence (C3) and the usual race suit, boots etc

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Beatle

Last time I bought a CAMS manual was in 1997 !  Do we still purchase these or is the info now available on the WWW ?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Paul Bayly on July 18, 2006, 08:05:23 PM
Last time I bought a CAMS manual was in 1997 !  Do we still purchase these or is the info now available on the WWW ?

A CAMS manual is provided to all Provisional (C3) and above licence holders or you can ring up CAMS and buy a copy for around $30.  I have scanned the Grp S regs and as soon as I get them ito a pdf I will post them.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)