An alfaholic

Started by warsch, August 25, 2020, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warsch

Yes, I am indeed an Alfaholic. it seems to be uncurable at this point.

Currently I own four red 156 sedans. Three are pictured and the fourth one is being parted out in my garage.

The front one is my trusted race car which will become a dirt race car. It's a TS manual. I participated in 40 (or 41?) race meets in it.

The rear one is a JTS selespeed which will be my new circuit race car. It needs a selespeed clutch valve if my diagnosis is correct. And upgrades, obviously.

And the middle one is a busso with auto to become a tow car for the two.

bazzbazz

[quote author=warsch link=topic=20647.msg116143#msg116143 date=1598332031
The rear one is a JTS selespeed which will be my new circuit race car. It needs a selespeed clutch valve if my diagnosis is correct.
[/quote]

That's unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely. I've never had to replace an Electro-Valve in a Selespeed so far, and as you know, I've worked on a lot of them.

What are the actual symptoms?

Nice to see you have all the 156s perfectly colour matched.   8)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

warsch

When I got the car it had some red liquid in selespeed system. It had troubles upshifting to second, third and fourth gears. So it often would go from 2 to 4 or even 5. It got worth when warmed up. Downshifting was fine. The final calibration ran fine.

I drained the system and put LDAS instead and bled the clutch half a dozen times. It got significantly better, but still will upshift from 2 to 3 only in 50% cases.

Also, pressure drops from 55 to 45 bar in 10-15 second when the car is running, while when the engine is stopped the pressure drops much slower, more than a minute from 55 to 45

bazzbazz

Ok,

1/ The shifting up from second and jumping over 3rd to fourth, let me guess, it feels like it is fumbling around for 3rd, cant quite find it and says bugger it, and skips to fourth? Sound familiar? I would suggest re-torquing the "Pinch Bolt".

2/ Replace the Accumulator, it is no doubt on its way out.

3/ Flush out the LDAS with correct Selespeed CS Fluid, fully flush it through the entire system & actuator, then refill with Selespeed Fluid.

LDAS can be used in emergencies or when Selespeed CS Fluid is unavailable. It will work fine, but when you have no idea what fluid was originally in there, then the thicker CS Fluid will help compensate for any wear caused by an incorrect fluid and give smoother gear changes.

Just suggestions only, as I am not there in person to asses, and my Psyonic powers aren't what they used to be.  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

pasey25

item 1 can also be the gear position sensor/potentiometer. Some fail, some go out of alignment, so go out of alignment when warm. Some start out of alignment when cold and come back into alignment when warm.
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

warsch

As it turns out, BazzBazz have worked on that car and his suggestion is to replace the gearbox together with selespeed unit, as it's likely worn syncros as well as worn out selespeed actuator seals. So the fun is about to begin.

bazzbazz

You and I have a drastically different idea as to what FUN is!  ???
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

warsch

Truth be told - I'm not too fond of working on cars, but it's the only way I can afford racing