ANOTHER one - 159 TBi Ti ECU glitch out

Started by MattK, July 31, 2020, 03:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattK

Can't believe I'm having to ask this - getting away for the weekend after the cambelts etc were done, coming up a hill in 4th doing 90, engine glitches and I get a cascade of warnings. ASR, VCU, hill hold etc. then Check Engine. Fuel gauge drops to zero and flashes.
I've pulled over, turned it off, lock and unlock etc but same story. If I have the key plugged in, fuel gauge is 3/4, as it should be, then the instant I start the engine it drops to zero. Same litany of warnings come up and it goes into limp mode.
I've checked oil and coolant (both full from service earlier in the week) and I've pulled and inspected every fuse and relay on the board. Same issues.
At the moment I have the battery disconnected for 20 minutes and will go and try it. I've been on the phone to the mechanic who suggested the above.
Any ideas?

Domenic

Does it state on your invoice form the mechanic that he replaced any gaskets while doing the cam belt?

MattK

No gaskets. Noted that the plastic housing on an injector was cracked, and that there was a little oil on the rocker cover, but unsure if a spill. I just popped off the engine cover and there's no sign of oil underneath. 20 minute reset didn't resolve anything.

Domenic

So did he even use the tools to lock the camshafts?

if he did he would have had to replace the gaskets for the vacuum pump and the rear cover....

MattK

Well I would assume, but I don't have the itemised account to check. They're the official Alfa service centre down here.

bazzbazz

Quote from: MattK on July 31, 2020, 03:52:33 PM
If I have the key plugged in, fuel gauge is 3/4, as it should be, then the instant I start the engine it drops to zero.

ok, THIS is the clue!

I suspect you have an issue with the injector harness/injector connections, usually on the injector connection on cylinder #1.

This EXACT same scenario happens occasionally with the 159 2.4JTDm, where a loose/bad connection to one of the injectors (again, usually #1) causes everything to light up on the dash, car to go into limp home mode, and the tell tale fuel gauge plummeting to zero.

Once the injector connections are cleaned and re-seated the issue is resolved. I know we are talking two completely different engines, but the similarities are just too glaring to ignore.

Quote from: MattK on July 31, 2020, 04:13:45 PM
Noted that the plastic housing on an injector was cracked

Also the fact that they mention a cracked housing on one of the injectors makes it an almost guaranteed sure thing.

I could of course be wrong . . . . . but what are the chances of that?  ::)

;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

Quote from: MattK on July 31, 2020, 03:52:33 PM
I get a cascade of warnings. ASR, VCU, hill hold etc. then Check Engine. Fuel gauge drops to zero and flashes.
I've pulled over, turned it off, lock and unlock etc but same story. If I have the key plugged in, fuel gauge is 3/4, as it should be, then the instant I start the engine it drops to zero. Same litany of warnings come up and it goes into limp mode.
One simple thing to check first.  Make sure the earth cable is bolted onto the gearbox housing.

This is exactly what happens when it is not properly connected.  Your mechanic may have unbolted it to isolate the electrics and not put it back properly.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

MattK

Fantastic help thanks - I'm away from the car until Sunday but I will check! When I had the cover off the engine I found I could slip the connector off injector 3 (counting 1 next to the oil filler cap) and slipped it back on easily. I will have a look for the ground!

bazzbazz

You sure your not talking about the ignition Coils?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

MattK

I am sorry - it was a coil of course. It's been a long day!

MattK

Quick update - I had another car to use so I actually left it a while before limping to the mechanic. It turned out to be a hose from the turbo to the intercooler had popped off. No idea why that scrambled everything else, and I had tried making an earth connection to the gearbox which didn't help. So that was the solution and they didn't charge me, presume it must have been their fault when putting it all back after the belt job.
On the plus side, what a great car to drive.