Clutch woes

Started by V AR 164, July 15, 2020, 01:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi all,

Hope someone can shed some insight to a problem I have. My 164q is having a clutch issue where the pedal goes to the floor with little resistance. So far I have bled the clutch by getting someone to hold the clutch in while I open the nipple as well as using a vacuum pump. Both to no avail.

I checked the slave and found it leaking inside the rubber boots so I replaced it. Bled the system again and little to no improvement.

When I first got the car running 4 years ago I had the clutch master rebuilt with new seals and it drove fine, but possibly it has gone bad again?

There are no leaks from under the car or anything coming from the master, but maybe it's an internal seal that's gone?

Any other suggestions I can try?

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bonno

Hi Andrew
From what you describe, I would suggest that the clutch master cylinder bore has worn beyond the specified limit, thus creating a sufficient gap for fluid to by-pass internally (internal leak). I would be replacing the complete clutch master cylinder in lieu of seals (only), together with a proper bleed of the system from top to bottom.

V AR 164

Thanks for the reply bonno,

A fellow member messaged me and advised me to bleed the master cylinder first (by disconnecting one of the hydraulic lines), then bleed the slave again. I will see how this method works out for me. If not I'll take your advice and get a new master cylinder as it seems to be the faulty piece of the puzzle.

Thanks, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti