Removing rear side glass from 85GTV to weld rusty ledge?

Started by 85GTV2000, June 23, 2020, 11:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85GTV2000

Hi, new to Alpha's and body repair but experienced with mechanical in general. 

My son Blair has the 85 GTV and we are in the process of cutting out the rust (both rear tail lamp area, lower front guards, front panel near radiator and side ledge of driver side rear glass) and welding in new steel.  But we can't get far in removing the inside trim and glass at the back side - looks like the inside chrome strip at the top of the panel near the glass has to come off to access whatever is holding the external chrome strip in place but try as we might it doesn't unclip or lever out... We don't want to force it any more than necessary for fear of distorting or damaging it.

The external chrome strip obviously needs to come off followed by the window and fixed glass sections to give full access to cut out and weld in replacement steel panel.  We've drilled out what pop rivets we could see in the area but didn't appear to make any difference.

Can anyone offer a step by step process on removing this?  We are scratching our heads and can't proceed.

Thanks,
Bill and Blair

bonno

You will find that the rear external metal strips are fastened to inner body panel by either a rivet or screw and several metal clips. You will need to remove the inner rear trim panel and glass to gain access. A piece of flat plastic material and use of flat bladed screwdriver to remove external metal trim will assist here. I have attached a photo of metal strips showing attaching bracketing spot welded to trim.

poohbah

Bill, fellow Sandgroper GTV owner here. How's the rear valance panel ( just above the angled lip behind the bumper)? I decided to strip back what looked like fairly minor bubbles on mine, and ended up having to chop out almost half the entire panel including the first inch of the boot floor... completely rotten.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

85GTV2000

Thanks guys, much appreciated and apologies for the late reply - extremely busy the last few weeks with no letup in sight.

Now that restrictions are lifted a bit it is full-on at work and weekends spent with the domestic stuff!  Blair is in the same boat shift working so a bit harder for him.

We'll move cautiously with your collective advice, maybe the delay is a good thing... Yet to look at the rear Poohbah but will add inspection to the list, thanks mate.

Cheers,
Bill and Blair