Alfa 159 2.4 diesel mods

Started by s1879278, June 11, 2020, 05:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s1879278

Hello, thinking of off-loading my trusty 147 twin spark after 12 years and buying a 159 diesel 2.4. I read the DPF/EGR can cause headaches for owners. I have also read the DPF can be 'cored out' and the EGR blanked. Then you arrange a custom remap to give more power and eliminate the DPF issues. I know this is for 'off road' use only. Is there anyone out there who could comment on their experiences with this, or point me in the direction of how to get this done well. The torque/kw appeals to me as does the 159 aesthetics. Appreciate any comments.
Regards, James

V AR 164

I had a 159 2.4 as a daily for about a year and loved it, only sold it due to getting a new car and didn't need 2 daily's. Power and torque was more than enough and was a really comfortable car. Only thing I disliked was the very agricultural sound of the engine, on idle it was louder than my diesel hilux. Also the throttle response was pretty bad, it had heaps of turbo lag down low and the it felt like it had an extremely heavy flywheel as it wasn't exactly a 'free revving' engine. I'd assume a tune would fix this.

However, I do miss it dearly. I never had any major issues with it, in the 25 thousand km's I put on it I only replaced a coolant temp sensor and cleaned the MAP sensor regularly. Mine wasn't remapped and still had the factory egr and dpf so I can't comment on the difference it makes, but I can comment it did put out a fair bit of soot so I would assume removing said dpf and egr would make it pretty smokey.

Very comfortable car to drive, quite nimble as well and had pretty much everything a modern luxury car should have. Auto wipers, auto headlights, heated seats, adjustable headlights, good stereo, hill hold assist (if manual), reverse sensors etc.

Look out for a low km one with a good service history and it will treat you very well.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Bobm

Hi S187
I sent you a pm in response.
Regards.
Bob.

Winno

I did all the "deletes" including swirl valves on my 2.4. The associated remap provided impressive increases in performance and fuel economy.
It also made the car very reliable as the things which cause most of the issues in these cars were "addressed".

SimplePeter

Hi Winno,

Can I ask what was the cost for all the 'deletes' and remap? I'm thinking of doing the same with my 2.4

bazzbazz

I doubt if you'll get a response from Winno as he has sold his 159 and moved on.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au