159 Ti steering wheel badge & handbrake cover

Started by Alfa-mad, June 06, 2020, 04:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa-mad

Hi all, in line with the outside badge replacements I did recently, I've now updated the badge on the steering wheel.
The new badge has adhesive on the back and I considered just sticking it over the top of the existing badge but it stuck out too much so I got myself an airbag removal tool and took the whole piece out. Then I got behind the original badge which was attached via four tabs, removed it and stuck on the new badge in its place. Looks so much brighter (see attached pic).

I also noticed the stitching on the handbrake cover was white so it didn't match the red stitching on the steering wheel. I took it off and removed the white stitching and simply restitched with a red thread, following the existing holes and using a saddle stitch, easy as, see pic for results. Of course, now I'm thinking of how I can add red stitching to the door trims as my next mini project considering how easy the handbrake cover was.
Alfa 159 - handbrake stitching.jpg
159 - Steering wheel.jpg

Maltalfisti

Is your centre console with such stitching too?

I have the centre console leather piece with red stitching if you need. Feel free to PM for and make an offer I can't refuse ;)
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

torquemeister

Quote from: Alfa-mad on June 06, 2020, 04:35:04 PM
Hi all, in line with the outside badge replacements I did recently, I've now updated the badge on the steering wheel.
The new badge has adhesive on the back and I considered just sticking it over the top of the existing badge but it stuck out too much so I got myself an airbag removal tool and took the whole piece out. Then I got behind the original badge which was attached via four tabs, removed it and stuck on the new badge in its place. Looks so much brighter (see attached pic).

I also noticed the stitching on the handbrake cover was white so it didn't match the red stitching on the steering wheel. I took it off and removed the white stitching and simply restitched with a red thread, following the existing holes and using a saddle stitch, easy as, see pic for results. Of course, now I'm thinking of how I can add red stitching to the door trims as my next mini project considering how easy the handbrake cover was.

Nice job - but have you got the perforated leather handbrake cover (to match the TI steering wheel?) Mine has black stitching so will replace with red then replace the plastic cover
Current Fleet:
2010 Brera V6 AWD Auto - Singapore
2008 Brera V6 AWD Auto - Tasmania
Previously:
1978 Alfetta GTV 2.0L - Adelaide

bazzbazz

Or if your cover isn't in perfect condition you can buy a brand new cover with red stitching from eBay.

(Also easier for the needle & thread handicapped of us out there too)  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au