147 selespeed conversion to manual

Started by aarc, June 29, 2020, 04:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarc

Hi can any one tell me if a 147 selespeed can be converted to manual easily,can it be done, is it worth it.
Has any one done it before any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

bonno

There are several posts on the forum on the subject, but from all indications suggest it is not economically viable. Here is a link to one that details what is involved. 
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=14771.msg87051#msg87051

aarc

What about if I have all the parts I have a wrecked 147 manual
Thanks

bonno

Only economical viable if you do the work, however if it's to be outsourced that is a different story.   

bazzbazz

Ok, the biggest issue is NOT the hardware components (gearbox, clutch ect) but the electronics.

Most of the "Boxes" have to be changed over (Eng ECU, Body Computer, Instrument cluster), along with most all of the critical wiring looms, which is an enormous job.

Think about replacing the Master Loom that runs under the dash that connects all the "Boxes" together and you'll quickly realize, "this is not such a good idea!"  :o
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

aarc

Have you done it before how difficult is it to do if the engine is already out of the selespeed 147
Thanks

Craig_m67

A working selespeed is a joy^.... just get it sorted out/calibrated - much simpler I'd have thought.

^ I have no experience of the selespeed, other than a test drive when new, but that's what all the selespeed drivers tell me (when it works) ;)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

warsch

I don't think the loom has to be replaced though, actually you can even reprogram engine ECU from selespeed to manual. It's doable, but absolutely impractical. You'll also have to drill a new hole in the firewall (or maybe it's only 156 thing).

Here's a list of parts to be swapped for 156. I reckon it would be similar for 147.

1. Gear selector fascia
2. Gear selector machanism
3. Pedals
4. Clutch master cylinder
5. Brake fluid tank
6. Clutch hose/pipe
7. Clutch slave cyliner (may come with the gearbox)
8. Manual gearbox and clutch assembly
9. Starter relay short
10. Dashboard gauges
11. Something I forgot

Cheaper, easier and quicker to fix selespeed, sell the car, buy a manual car, even if you're doing all the work yourself.